someone is being a naughty boy!

summerb123

Free Ranging
Apr 26, 2016
Mississippi
Hello peeps!
frow.gif

My rooster Oscar is a year old and a week ago his attitude started to change! he use to be very mellow and nice to the ladies, but something has changed! we put are chickens on poultry vitamins and finally has sickle feathers, and I guess a newly found attitude ! And NO, I'm NOT sending him off to freezer camp! He has attacked my sister 2 times charged me so many times I cannot count! He is not letting the hens have any food, just hogging it all for himself. He with the hens will fight over treats! and if I give a treat to the hen I'm the one he goes after until he gets food! can anyone help me with this behavior! I will not tolerate it any longer!

thanks!
~Summer!~

Hi there.
I know what I would be doing with him if I were you!
I see you don't want to kill him.
1.Maybe you could give him away and let the new owners know what he is like,
2.You could separate him from the hens during feeding time,
3.Separate him from the hens and put him in another pen,but let him see the hens(put his pen beside the hens)
4.Or the freezer! (Which you don't want)

I think if you want to keep the rooster the best thing to do is no.2-3.
Goodluck
Fionn.

Do you need a rooster for breeding? You have some good options there from @Chickengrass (but the one option you do not wish to consider would be my only option
wink.png
)

Do you have plans for the excess cockerels? So peeps may suggest that breeding from an aggressive roo is not a good idea. I merely sharing, not making any recommendations - you do what works for you (I know i do
big_smile.png
)

I wouldn't breed an aggressive rooster. What you need a rooster who is nice to his girls and respectful of his human caretakers. While I thoroughly understand your desire to avoid killing your rooster, we must make these difficult decisions. I, too, am a wimp when it comes to killing roosters so I give them to people with full disclosure. These people will process them and feed their families. Honestly, I'd rather roosters be part of the food chain then be part of a cock-fighting ring and used as a training bird.

Rehome this rooster and find another who will suit your needs. And don't forget young cockerels will be nice but when the hormones hit they will turn into what nature wanted them to be: Protective breeding machines that will defend their flock. Roosters are not pets. Don't expect them to be pets. It is their nature to be number one in the flock so they can earn breeding rights. Be mindful of what they are and don't give them a chance to attack. I've trained my roosters to roost when I enter the pen. If they don't I chase them around with a 'grabber' or fishing net until they go to the designated spot which can either be a certain roost or a corner. Smart roosters will instantly go to the 'safe' zone. The not so smart youngster may posture at me only to get pushed and bullied until they go to where I want them. The idiot rooster goes to crock-pot therapy.

And never, ever tolerate a rooster who bullies hens, makes them bleed, and won't let them eat.

Here Stan the Man tolerates a beak-lashing from a low ranking hen.

Real Deal Steele submitting to a dominant hen. Note his frayed hackles feathers due to over grooming by the hens. I had to actually remove him and place him with less aggressive hens.

Dapper Dan proved too aggressive for the hens. While he's smart enough for me to train and will roost the instant I enter the coop, I can't tolerate his abusive behavior toward the hens. He will go to the man down the road.

A good rooster does not attack you, or family members, but knows you are the caregiver and does not challenge you. When you come with treats for the group he will cluck to let the hens know its yummy snack time, and he lets the hens eat first. One of my boys would not eat the snacks at all, but was happy to give it all to the hens. A good rooster never chases the hens from food.

The responsible part of breeding and keeping chickens is that you have to be able to butcher roosters of bad behavior and extras. By re-homing a rooster you could be sending him to a miserable life. There are many roosters in need of re-homing who are very well behaved, who would be deserving of a good home before one who will never be good. If it's not an option to butcher any roosters ever, then it's best to only keep hens.

If you are intent on keeping him, he will need a separate living area from the hens, and you always have to expect to be attacked. He will not like being kept by himself and will probably make him more aggressive towards you and your family members.

If you want to breed him, be aware that his mean genes will more than likely be passed on to his offspring, including female offspring.

ETA: The behavior of your rooster cannot be re-trained.

Last edited:
This is the reality of chicken and livestock husbandry. Being a responsible owner/ breeder means selecting good individuals, not idiot jerks who attack the folks who bring food every day! You've gotten great advise already, and all the best from me too. Mary

Back
Top Bottom