Someone is eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chester Hen, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Chester Hen

Chester Hen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I've been blaming it on the girls. Every now and then (once a month or so) I'll find yolk remnants puddled and splashed about in the nesting boxes. Thing is, there is no shell to be found. The girls wouldn't eat the shells...right? Could something else be getting in there and eating the eggs?

2. OnewChook

OnewChook Chillin' With My Peeps

The lack of Calcium in their diet will cause them to lay just the egg whites and yolks. I would buy cuttlefish bones or shell grit. :)

3. Chester Hen

Jan 26, 2011
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Thanks for replying! :) There is oyster shell in there at all times...that's enough, correct? All of the eggs we gather are shelled normally. Perhaps one of them is still laying shell-less eggs now and then?

4. OnewChook

OnewChook Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome! :) One Hen may not be eating enough as the other hens are and will lay shell-less eggs still. It's not something to worry too much about. If you find out which hen, I would get her in a separate cage in the morning with grain and Shell grit to be safe.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Actually some chickens do like to eat the entire egg. My egg eaters never leave the whole shell, just pieces. I'm not saying that you may not have a hen laying shelless eggs, i'm only telling you that they will eat the shell sometimes.

6. jrottie

jrottie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    My girls will eat one every once in awhile. Pretty funny to watch how quick they can make an egg disappear.

7. Chester Hen

Jan 26, 2011
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I guess that's what is going on then. I wish I knew who was laying them. I guess I will have to break out the spy cam. lol

Thanks for all of the replies! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by