1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Someone just offered me 5 FREE Great Pyrenees - I took two

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ruth, Mar 5, 2009.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Just got them home - A little brother and sister I picked out of the litter of five FREE pure-bred Great Pyrenees a local man was giving away.

[​IMG]

Little Boy:

[​IMG]

Little Girl:

[​IMG]

The parents are working livestock guard dogs on a local farm. The man said he has bred them for years. He used to raise minature goats and still has minature horses and chickens and said he sold the rest of the litter and is having the mama spayed because he got rid of his goats and is tired of breeding them so he offered me any or all of the five remaining puppies.

I'm hoping they will be working livestock guard dogs here on our farm as well but right now they are cute little teddy bears that are getting cuddled and loved on.

I know, I know, he said to put them in with my goats right now - but gee whiz....just got to love on them for a little bit.

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I LOVE great pyreneese!!! I hope you like dog fur [​IMG]

I want one so bad! But my crazy husky keeps me busy enough as is.

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    You are so lucky. And for FREE. It sure doesn't get any better than that.
    Have fun.

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Lucky you! Also their so cute [​IMG]

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Well I already have a pack of five dogs - two German Shepherds and three mutts (strays) that are always in and out of the house, and two cats so fur, and feathers, and poop are a regular thing around here so I figured what's two more???? Plus, plans are they will be staying with the herd - yeah right.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Monique! what a blessing! congrats!

7. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    They are adorable but I dont think I could handle the fur. The size doesnt bother me but the fur is a killer. [​IMG]

8. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Those are adorable! The little boy looks mischievous, doesn't he?

I gave my Pyr plenty of cuddles, bring him indoors every night, and it did not spoil him a bit for working livestock. Once the chickens are locked up in their coop, there's no need for him to stay out all night (although he'd love to bark all night at the neighbors [​IMG] ). He is great with the chickens and fabulous with my neighbor's cattle. They are much smarter dogs than people give them credit for.

My Pyrenees, working hard:
    [​IMG]

This is the same dog that protects us from foxes, fishers, Evil Neighbor Dog, possums, raccoons, hawks etc. Feel free to cuddle your little teddy bears to sleep! It's mostly in the training.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG]

10. Edfewlass

Edfewlass Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Callahan Fl
    Quote:Where are you located I believe hen House 60 was looking for one of those she is located in Fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by