Someone just tell me what to buy!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melissastraka, Mar 29, 2009.

1. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I am so confused with incubators so i need help...i have a headache! [​IMG]
    I dont want to spend a ton of money and i am not great and my DH is even worse at making things so a homemade one is confusing. [​IMG] I want to be able to hatch at least 12 eggs at a time, i would rather not have to turn them 3 times a day and it cant be really "touchy" as i have tons of kids and they are going to want to "see". [​IMG] I have looked at Hova, Brincia and every other one out there. I need help... [​IMG] Please hatching gods, help me! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hovabator 1588 w/ the turner.

Plug and play. holds 41-42 eggs. (I use one spot for a tube to add or subtract H20)

3. dizzychicken

dizzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    You know what? Not everyone is impressed with the Little Giants, but I have one and it is still air and I really like it. It only cost me 40 bucks, and I didn't buy all the fancy schmancy turner or fan.

That's my thoughts anyway.

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    how many times a day do u turn your eggs?

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Brinsea is by far the best brand. Temps stay stable unlike the foam incubators. I do have a hovabator 1602n, but I only use that for hatching, and I have to put a cloth over one of the viewing windows, otherwise the the temps dont stay stable.

Brinsea is having a sale on the Brinsea 20 eco. $99 without the turner.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If you dont want to spend a lot, check out MissPrissy's instructions for building your own out of a styrofoam ice chest...

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If you want simple reliable and easy about turning I too suggest the brinesea 20 thats on sale for 99 its not much more then the little giant and if you get the fan and turner with a hoverbator its less then that so I say go pay 99 bucks for the brinesea 20 it has a fan and all that just no turner but turning is easy as you just move the whole cradle from one side to the other 3 times a day and you dont have to open it to turn the eggs.
    Good luck

8. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Quote:Where did you find it for $99! I did a search and the ones I found where $200+

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Everyone is overlooking natures best incubator, a good silkie hen. For only a few dollars she will sit on and hatch 10 to 12 eggs with no problem.
    You never have to worry about temps, humidity or turner.

10. emit

emit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by