Someone please explain this

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hapjr, Dec 19, 2012.

1. hapjr

hapjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    seneca sc
    [​IMG]
    I have a silkie rooster. He is behaving like a hen. He Klux like a hen after she lays an egg. But today I notice a difference behavior out of him. Today he was quoting like again once again. So I watched him for about an hour. I noticed he jumped Into the hen box and laid there so I watch them once I watch for about an hour I went in and tried to see if he laid in an egg. He did not so I tried to remove him from the hen box and he picked me repeatedly

2. hapjr

Dec 4, 2012
    seneca sc
    Once I finally got him removed He just sat on my hand as I put him down to the ground he attacked me again Then he ran and jumped back into the box in just laid there. Can someone please explain this behavior to me

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    How certain are you that he is a he? Silkies are hard to sex for me. I was convinced our Fluffy was a quiet boy and then she laid her first egg about a week ago at 30 weeks old.

Getting into the nestbox isn't unusual for a rooster - I've had plenty that would get in there and show the girls where to lay - they would make a clucking sound so the girls would come and watch.

Here's my white leghorn showing the girls where to lay - the WL pullet finally got tired of waiting for the lesson to be over - pushed her way inside and laid her egg as he was hopping down.

[​IMG][​IMG]

But going back into the nest box after being removed and pecking you are normally broody behaviors - I wouldn't be surprised if you had a broody rather than a boy.

4. hapjr

Dec 4, 2012
    seneca sc
    Silkie hens don't have the rooster comb and waddles do they? He has a good size comb like a rooster and the hanging waddles just like ny other roosters. Im not 100% sure he is not a she but idk for sure

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    oh yes they have a comb and can have wattles just like the roosters - my Fluffy looked like a rooster to me up until she laid her egg. She's been laying about every third day now. Her comb is large and red right now.

It's hard to see her comb in this picture - she was 10 weeks old at the time.

[​IMG]

The one in the back is Crewcut a rooster - he crowed at 8 weeks old. The one in the front is Fluffy - a confirmed pullet. They are the same age.
    [​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Here she is today - it was a pain to get her pic BTW! She turned 31 weeks old yesterday. I trim her topknot back occassionaly since she freeranges with the rest of them. You can clearly see her big red comb but her wattles are harder to notice since she's also bearded.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. hapjr

Dec 4, 2012
    seneca sc
    Ok ok dang. She is a she. I guessing. I had to leave and do sone things abd when i camr home she was off the neat and there was an egg. All this time he was a she. Dang. Now i need a young rooster bc i dnt think my old one is fertilizing the eggs. Darn i didnt lnoe the hens grew cimbs and eaddles like tht. Bc my other hrn dont look the same.

8. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    that is a she, not a he. :)

9. hapjr

Dec 4, 2012
    seneca sc
    Thank you. Another question. Ok there are 3 hens tht came from same parents. One hen has comb and waddles one does not and looks like a hen and the other is half yhe size of the first 2. Yet same age. Is that normal. To be so small. And why does one have comb and waddles and the others dont?

10. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    pictures? and are you sure shes a she?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by