Someone please help a cockerel!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by tangerinedreams, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tangerinedreams

tangerinedreams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    I'm in a right pickle! Basically I got 3 chickens from a farm that my dad is friends with. We've had them for about 3 months now and within the last week or two we've noticed that one of them isn't Ethel the chicken like we thought, hes actually Eric the cock!

I don't live on a farm or even have a big garden so it puts me in the position where we cant have a cock as we have a lot of neighbors who would hate us in no time....

My dads mate said its not a problem to come back and swap him for a different chicken. Which, even though it'll be sad to see her (him!) go, we accepted it as something that'll be best for everyone.

My real problem is that the farmer has said he has too many cocks as it is, and would eat Eric if we do bring him back. I guess it may seem childish to some chicken owners but we've treated our chickens as pets and grown very fond of them all, and I can't bring myself to take her back there so she can be eaten....

Me and my family spoke of giving her away to a good family or farm, basically somewhere she has the same freedoms and level of care that we gave her. I just don't know how to start looking or where?! Or if its even realistic that someone would want a cockerel. Can anyone lend me some advice please?

My dad suggested the RSPCA but I don't like that idea, it feels really reckless and irresponsible to dump her on them...

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    try craigslist. I have rehome10 roos this year that way. My last is going today after I get home from work. He is a Delaware roo that is going to have 15 ladies. I have had great luck with craigslist. I have got several chicks and ducks and have rehomed roos through the site.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can try crasigslist or the local free paper or whatever, but there's a good chance that his fate would be the same regardless of what they say. Occasionally someone actually does want a good roo, but your chances are not good.

This is just a part of chicken keeping; not likely to be the last time the problem arises. Sorry.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by