SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. Chantecler with ? leg injury.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Jan 14, 2011.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Hi, I noticed yesterday that one of my Chantecler poulets was favoring one of her legs. She was sticking to herself and laying down a lot. Appears healthy otherwise ( eating drinking etc). I remembered that 2 nights ago one of my 4 chantecler girls... Hard to remember which it was but could very well have been her... got pushed off her perch when another girl was trying to get in. The one being ousted tried to hold on, but eventually landed on the bench. I noted she limped a bit then, but I thought it must have just been from the fall. Could this be what caused the leg injury? She will still walk on it but only for short periods of time. I have her in the house in a small space now. Does this sound like something that will heal on its own? Any recommendations for treatment or supplementation. I gave her some scrambled eggs, but she is new to them and just wiped it off her beak and went back to her feed. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    anyone????

3. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I could really use some help here. I still have her isolated. She is still favoring her leg and limping around. How could I tell if it was broken? I don't want to lose her if I don't have to since she is a critical breed. She is still eating, drinking and pooping normally. Please anyone??

4. Cochin378

Cochin378 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    Hello, I will try my best to help you.
    If you think that the leg is broken you can do one of three things. You could put a brace on the leg. There are step by step instructions for this in the book Story's Guide to raising chickens. Unfortunately I don't have the book with me right now so I can't give them to you.Or you could cull it because in my experience chickens with broken legs never heal properly and don't have a very good quality of life because the other birds pick on them. Lastly you could take the chicken into the vets office and have them fix it for you
    If you think that the bird is in pain, you can give it some baby aspirin and leave it in the cage till you figure out what you want to do with it. Hopefully all goes well. Keep me updated.[​IMG]

5. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    thanks. I thought maybe she was better this morning when she was standing and eating some salmon before I went to work. When I got home though she does not seem to have very good use of it at all. She is still eating and drinking ( I assume).... and poops are still normal. She does not seem to be too uncomfortable but when I hold her under the belly her good leg she contracts up but her bad leg just hangs there. She tries to get up but it won't hold her tonight. It sorta crumples under her or stretches/slips out in front of her. I don't feel anything in the leg but at the hip the 2 legs don't feel quite the same. ? broken hip or out of joint. There are no vets around here that actually deal or seem to care about chickens. She is so bright. I have lost chickens to illnesses before where they look sick. But she looks bright in the eyes and all... just can't get up much anymore. I am thinking I may have to cull her [​IMG] Not a great life in a box. That is something I have never done before either...... anyone have any help????

6. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    When I went back in this evening she had obviously been getting around a bit. I started her on some baby ASA in her water. She is still drinking and certainly eating. Still not sure if this is futile, but she is still so bright and seems determined to be able to get up. If I hold her right foot from slipping she can get up. She is still preening too. I did notice a few lice at her head. I treated these. a waiting game now. Thanks Cochin378. I have been feeling like I am having a conversation with myself. This makes it frustrating. Knowing someone is reading certainly helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by