Someone please help! hen or rooster.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rhys1377, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Rhys1377

Rhys1377 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Hi guys ive posted in a few things now trying to find out if my chicken is a rooster they are 14 weeks old and week got them from the pet store we have two Australorps one RIR and one leghorn. They are all crossed with the new hampshire. The chicken that i suspect is a rooster is a australorp but looks nothing like! im wondering maby they got so breed wrong? Back to the point its comb is much much larger almost as large as my fully matured RIR hen its got distinive bumps on the inside of its legs aswell and its back tail is always standing up quite straight. Someone please help me.

[​IMG]the bumps have got bigger since the picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ive also notice and its back its starting the get feathers that are going a dark green tint colour towards the back of its tail.

2. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    It does look boyish to me. That comb is awfully big and red, and the tail feathers look like they're just getting ready to curve as they grow out. I don't see any pointy feathers yet, but they should be there within the next little while, if this is a boy.

3. Rhys1377

Jan 21, 2013
    thankyou very much for your comment that has helped :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a pullet, but more like a leghorn, not an australorp. Does she have white earlobes? Can't really tell from the pic. Spur bumps mean nothing at this age, but that color is all girl. She'll probably start laying in the next month or so.

5. Rhys1377

Jan 21, 2013
    okay but why has it matured that much faster than the other leghorn or the one ive had before?

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    She does look like a leghorn cross. Alot of times crosses will be more hardy. This can even lead to quicker maturing. All birds, especially mixes, are different with what they inherit from the parents. I would expect her to start laying eggs at 18-20 weeks old.

Matt

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When you walk down the halls of a middle school, why have some girls matured much faster than others? Who know, it's just how things go. But that bird is all female.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If it makes you feel any better, my Leghorns were laying at 5 months old, and their combs were so big they flopped over. I agree it a hen :)
    Nikki

9. Rhys1377

Jan 21, 2013
    Hey guys I havent updated for a while just lettin you all know I appreciate your comments she grown into a beautiful girl and they are all laying and I'm hope soon to get a rooster of my friend it's a Wyandotte silver pencilled :) thanks again

10. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    So glad she turned out to be a hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by