Someone please help, I don’t know what’s wrong with my chicken

Grimx18

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2019
hi, so I recently rescued a battery hen and she’s been fine for the past few months however three days ago I started to notice that she wasn’t being herself it was only slight differences in her normal behaviour but it started to get me worried she wasn’t getting aggressive at the other chickens as she is usually very territorial and she wasn’t eating as much she usually did ( she was still eating though) The next morning she wouldn’t eat she wouldn’t drink and she was fluffed up. The next day she didn’t want to get out of her Hut which was very unusual for her. She walks a few steps and then standstill and tenses but nothing comes out, she hadn’t laid any eggs since she fell ill
When she’s not tensing she stands up and sleeps or sits down and sleeps she is still drinking though but she refuses to eat and when she poos it’s mainly just white with like a clear slimy jell
she is still always fluffed up and She looks like she has a massive lumpy ball in her throat I don’t know if that’s normal for chickens as I only recently started caring for them so I’m not a professional, her eyelids are pure white and I’m not sure if that’s normal
Maggie (my chicken) was the first ever chicken Id ever interacted with and she has become my best friend she’s not like any of the chicken and I would be devastated to see her die someone I’m begging please help before it’s too late currently she is sleeping on my lap and even when I stroke her, her eyes stay close and she fuses to eat and I don’t know what to do somebody help

There’s is a photo of her eyelids and her poo
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 3
Infectious Coryza
You will know that your birds have caught this disease when their heads become swollen. Their eyes will literally swell shut and their combs will swell. ... Once your chickens contract this disease they should be put down.

It is possible for a bound egg to be massaged out. This should be done by a vet or an experienced pet owner. Another option is a warm water bath or even a steam room. This can help relax the muscles, which may help the hen pass the egg on its own.

Probably non of those things OP has on hand, and nobody gets experience without doing. :)
It is possible for a bound egg to be massaged out. This should be done by a vet or an experienced pet owner. Another option is a warm water bath or even a steam room. This can help relax the muscles, which may help the hen pass the egg on its own.

You poo pic looks like there might be egg material in there so there are a couple possibilities.
When you go looking for a whole egg you possibly could encounter shell and not an entire egg.
If this is the case, gently remove the shell.
Her ex battery hen status has done her egg laying bits no justice.

You poo pic looks like there might be egg material in there so there are a couple possibilities.
When you go looking for a whole egg you possibly could encounter shell and not an entire egg.
If this is the case, gently remove the shell.
Her ex battery hen status has done her egg laying bits no justice.
I’ve looked everywhere and she hasn’t laid for 3 days I’m not sure if chickens stop laying when there I’ll or if she was egg bound and the egg cracked

Back
Top Bottom