Someone please help, Jazz is hurt.

gettinaclue

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Virginia
I have an outdoor domestic short hair, out door cat named Jazz. She is an incredibly sweet natured and gentle cat. In the almost 10 years I have had her, she scratched me ONCE about 6 years ago when I was playing with her with a bit of string.

Every morning, she jumps onto the back porch railing and we give her a half a cup of food and I pet her a bit as she eats. She will come out to the clothes line while I hang clothes and keep me company. If I go for a walk, she will come with me. In the evening, she will again jump up on the back porch rail and I'll give her some food and pet her a bit. I love her very very much.

About a week ago, as I was getting ready for work, I noticed she was not at her usual post on the railing. I didn't give it much thought as she's been known to miss the occasional morning. I became a little worried that evening when she didn't show up when I took in the clothes and she didn't show up for her dinner. I didn't see her for 2 days, and I was VERY worried. I had been out calling and calling for her and I never heard or saw her.

She showed up on the evening of the 3rd day on the back porch steps and meowed at me like crazy. I could tell she was hungry, so I put her food on the rail as usual but she didn't jump up to get it. I suddenly noticed, she was carrying her back paw. I looked it over, saw no injuries and no swelling so I brought the food to her and sat with her a while. I touched her paw the last time and she GROWLED at me. She never ever ever growls. It is the first time I have ever heard it. I stood there in shock with my hand still out and she bumped my hand away with her head and asked me to pet her. She eventually got up and went under the porch and I went back inside.

The next morning, I got up a bit early so I could be with her as she ate on the step, but she wasn't there. I didn't see her until that evening. She was still carrying her paw but was putting just a little bit of pressure on it. I sat with her while she ate, and tried to look it over and she was having none of it. I was able to pick her up (she absolutely hates it when I pick her up, she always makes it sound like I'm killing her so I rarely pick her up) and brought her into the bathroom and made her a bed of towels. I looked her paw over again, found there was some swelling but could find no injury. I could only guess that she had sprained it. I let her sleep there for the night with some food and water. I let her out in the morning so she could do her business and I saw her again the next night but she wouldn't let me get close enough to her to touch her.

Tonight, she has shown up again with dirt all over her paw, and she is still carrying it. I did notice that she could put just a little bit of pressure on it. I was eventually able to catch her and bring her back inside. I immediatly noticed two things. One - what I thought was dirt on her paw when I looked at it in the dim light under the porch, is in fact blood. Two - her back leg is SWOLLEN. I took her to the bathroom and she has a wound on her leg way high up - where the skin from the thigh meets her tummy.

She will NOT let me get a good enough look at it. The blood on her paw is dripping down from this wound. The blood that is coming from it is watery. Her wound is weeping and bleeding.

I'll be taking her to the vet in the morning - but is there something I can do to alleviate her obvious pain until then?

Is there anything you can think of that I can do?

Please help me. I love her very much and I don't know what to do to help her.

I would probably just give her some extra good food (canned) and make her a nice soft bed and let her rest inside until you take her to a vet in the morning. I would leave the wound alone and probably not try to force any medicine into her. Just let the vet handle it in the morning.

I would guess it is a wound that is now abscessed.....not much that can be done in the next few hours....just make her comfortable and let the vet handle it in the morning. Whatever you do, DON'T let her out to use the bathroom as she will probably wander off or hide again and she definitely needs to see a vet ASAP.

Without knowing exactly what the problem is, I wouldn't do anything but take her to the vet tomorrow. They can give her meds so she can be examined without danger to you or her. I had a cat get caught in the motor of a car one time that made a wound that sounds like this one, but it could be anything. Sometimes a snake bite will cause the skin to split from the swelling, too. Just keep her warm and comfortable tonight and take her to your vet tomorrow. They'll fix her right up...

So sorry about Jazz. It sounds to me like she was bit by something. My cat tangled with a squirrel once and was bit. Could be a coon also. She will need some antibiotics. Good luck, I hopes she gets better soon.
fl.gif

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have her back on her bed of towels with some wet food and fresh water. Should I give neosporin a try? I don't know if you can use it on cats. What about giving her a bit of asprin for pain somehow?

What do you think?

I know the wound is far beyond me. But what can I do to help her?

I agree with the others. I don't think you should do anything except keep her confined until you get to the vet in the morning. Cats have very sensitive systems and you could make it worse by treating. The fact that she's moving & eating at all is a good sign. I've had many vets tell me that the time to panic is when they stop eating.
Sorry Jazz is hurt,

Imp

Back
Top Bottom