Someone please help...sick girl!

Pillzzner

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 3, 2012
Georgia
I have a flock of 9...all different breeds...a couple days ago one of my girls started acting a little lethargic. Was still eating and drinking and running around with the others. She roosted last night, but this morning she doesn't want to move. Not eating...she will take a drink of water every now and then. Her comb and wattles are bluish in color. No discharge from nose or eyes. She also seems to be breathing really hard. Not panting but her whole body moves when she breathes. I have no idea what could be wrong or how to help her!!! She is only a year old and my biggest, best layer.

I've always read that blue comb wattles is a heart issue and is pretty bad news for a bird. I'm no expert...anyone else with an opinion?

Blue comb/wattles and heavy breathing mean she's definitely having some kind of circulatory problem. It could be heart related or it could be a respiratory problem that's making breathing difficult. If it's heart related they also sometimes develope ascites so you can check her and see if her lower body feels swollen with fluid. It can be very hard to pinpoint an exact cause and often when they are displaying those kinds of symptoms they often don't have much time left.

I would put her in a warm place away from the other chickens so she doesn't get picked on. You could try giving her antibiotic's in case this is anything bacterial, it can't hurt at this point. Maybe some Tylan 50. Just know that her prognosis is probably guarded at best.

Blue comb/wattles and heavy breathing mean she's definitely having some kind of circulatory problem.  It could be heart related or it could be a respiratory problem that's making breathing difficult.   If it's heart related they also sometimes develope ascites so you can check her and see if her lower body feels swollen with fluid.   It can be very hard to pinpoint an exact cause and often when they are displaying those kinds of symptoms they often don't have much time left.

I would put her in a warm place away from the other chickens so she doesn't get picked on.  You could try giving her antibiotic's in case this is anything bacterial, it can't hurt at this point.  Maybe some Tylan 50.  Just know that her prognosis is probably guarded at best.

X2 for everything she said.

Thanks! I took her out of the coop in case she is contagious. None of the others are showing symptoms. She is warm in her own box for now. Still has the discolored comb and wattles. Breathing doesn't seem as harsh. When I touch her she raises her back end ??? but leaves her head lying still. I don't know if maybe she is just too weak to get up. I don't think she will make it but I'm trying everything I can. Gave her some electrolytes with a dropper but she wont swallow. :( I don't know what else to do.

You could get a glove, some KY Jelly and check for an egg, but that might send her over the edge. The way she sounds, it's probably too late to do anything for her. Sorry.

You could also try to tube feed her fluids. If that's something you want to try, go to a vet office and buy a 35cc catheter tip syringe and an 18 french red rubber catheter tube. Then send me a PM and I'll tell you how to do it.

She is still hanging in there for now. I got some Tylan 50. Gave all the other chickens plus her the injection in the breast..(what we were told to do) I can get her to drink but still not eat. She won't keep her eyes open for long...but I can make her get up and move around some...she is just so week...Just wish I knew what I am dealing with....uhhh...but thanks for the advise!

Back
Top Bottom