Someone please help

Michael8427

Chirping
Feb 28, 2021
I got this little girl about a week ago from the tractor supply... my heart was broken how bad she looked so I had to get her, I noticed her joints were swollen so I asked and I and was told it was a niacin deficiency, which I had heard about and I was certain it was that, I have been giving her poultry cell and niacin for about a week now, the highest I feel comfortable giving her. And now she is beginning to not walk as good as she was when I got her. She was walking very good on her knees but now she falls on her face and has to use it for balance, any help would be greatly appreciated ( the first two photos are when I got her and the second two are now)

Attachments

• B40134C4-E0C3-428E-8EA0-A59741FF5724.jpeg
    B40134C4-E0C3-428E-8EA0-A59741FF5724.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 200AEF53-A45D-4053-9E6B-20D673684269.jpeg
    200AEF53-A45D-4053-9E6B-20D673684269.jpeg
    543.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 10
Is there anyway I can fix it ? It seems to have gotten worse, almost the whole bin at the tractor

Since his chances are dwindling rapidly, maybe try feeding him fish or steak. There are also these threads about how to treat with vitamin b liquids and pills.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/injured-gosling-possible-niacin-deficiency.1467273/unread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/unread

It may be a parasitic pathogen in which you would have to treat specifically, such as cocci. That will be complicated to treat while also giving Vitamin B. I like the people food idea unless you're experienced treating cocci. I've never treated a duck.

Last edited:
I know this may sound cruel, but have you tried putting her in a tub of warm water? Water therapy can be beneficial, if they are able to float and paddle. It’s sometimes easier than walking, and can give you a different perspective on how the legs are actually situated, and possible insight into the problem. Also look into some slings that you might be able to build.
Something of this nature. The ability to suspend it over water can be useful too.
26681452-3007-4279-A3C3-D66F8DA3E625.jpeg

I’m tagging some others that are better with medicines than me.
@Miss Lydia @Isaac 0 @DuckyDonna

If it's splayed leg you could try a hobble but do it quickly because it's best to get in on when they are young. They are easy to make. Let me try to find an article on BYC. I know there is something on here on how to do it.

The only other thing I can think of is B-complex for extra niacin. I would give it orally to be sure she gets it all. Hopefully, you've got a TSC nearby. I'd also try what @WVduckchick said to do with the bath even if you have to hold her in the tub just to see what her little legs are going to try to do.
A86322DF-C73B-40F3-9061-075DC90A598A.jpeg

I can't find anything on how to make a hobble but it's basically putting their legs the normal distance apart and securing them in that position. You could take one of those elastic hair ties if it's big enough, put her legs in it and tape it in the middle. I think maybe @WannaBeHillBilly may have made one. I know someone has but I can't find it. I'm sure @Miss Lydia will be on soon and she's really good at finding things that I can't.

Meanwhile, I did find this which may help you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/page-4

Back
Top Bottom