1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

someone please help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cteggy80, Mar 27, 2015.

1. cteggy80

cteggy80 New Egg

Mar 15, 2015
    southern illinois
    [​IMG]I've had only one chick hatch from this small clutch. And this is my first go round of hatching. This poor baby started pipping yesterday evening and zipped earlier this afternoon. She is very weak and has not absorbed her yolk sac! I followed someone's advice and put her in a small dish with wet towel to prevent the sac from drying out. It seems the sac has gotten BIGGER. What should I do????

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    There's nothing you can do. Some chicks just don't make it. It's hard to see. you could wait, and hope for the best, or you could euthanize her. You'll have to follow your gut on this one, and make the decision that you feel the most comfortable with. How long has it been? It looks like the yolk has ruptured as well. Doubtful she will live, but maybe some one who's had a successful outcome will chime in. When I'm facing an issue, i do a thread search to see how others have dealt with the same problem.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    x2 on all :(

4. cteggy80

cteggy80 New Egg

Mar 15, 2015
    southern illinois
    Its starting to deflate I think. And she's not moving around much but is cheeping when she hears me talking or when I move her little bowl to get a better look. I feel absolutely sick right now.

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome, BTW [​IMG] I know it's hard and sad. Prepare for the worst, be happy if you're wrong. Fingers crossed for you/her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by