1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

someone please tell me if my coop is going to kill my chickens/ducks!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cukooformarans, Jul 19, 2011.

1. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    DH and I re-did our chicken coop today with sand and DE. The coop is about 8 x 12. Per some suggestions on this site, we used Sweet PDZ, DE and sand. I didn't know how much to put, so we did 1/2 bag Sweet PDZ, 1 ton of sand and 25 lbs of DE. It was a food grade DE, but I noticed when I got home it had a really small % of bentonite (clay). The thing is, the coop was super ultra crazy dusty afterwords. We tried to rake the DE into the sand to help and DH even misted it with the hose to help it settle. (Yes I know that this counteracts the supposed benefits but he didn't wet it too much and it did help to settle the dust.) It still smells strong in there, but the dust is a lot better. The chickens and ducks went in, but I left the door open just for this night to help with ventilation. We just finished 45 minutes ago and I had to make dinner still, so no roosting poles are up yet and they are on the floor. Do I need to go move them out of the pen, or should they be ok????? Should've got those roosting poles up!!!!!!!

2. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:You need to try to scoop what you can out of there, an overdose of bentonite drug or lack of water intake may result in leg weakness or paralysis, per FDA regulations on poultry.

3. cukooformarans

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    The sand is mixed with the DE already--should I shovel out the sand and get new sand???? [​IMG] A ton of sand was a lot of sand to shovel, but if I need to re-do it, I will. I did put two large watering pans in there with them b/c I was concerned the dust may make them thirsty ...

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If you will saturate the ground, it will be fine. I always pour tons of DE in my sand and rake it in real good. I hose the coops down every day, a couple times at least.

5. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:They should be okay just make sure there is plenty of water and the dirt is wet for the night. I love DE and use it all of the time but I use a shifter to distribute it lightly and that's the best recommendation for DE. DE is a natural algae that's been dried. Once it dries again it will still work as it should. Just make sure there isn't a lot of dust because of the breathing issues. I think you will be okay.

6. cukooformarans

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Feeling much better. I had posted this in coop run and design too b/c I didn't know where it should fit. Anyhow, feeling much better now. I'm going to check on them one more time before going to bed. Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by