Someone PLEASE turn the broody switch to OFF

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by superchemicalgirl, Jul 5, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I've had 3 chickens that have been broody over a month. Phoenix (who's been broody close to 6 weeks, wish I had known I would have gotten that emu egg I've been dying to get that doesn't fit in my incubator), bantam mix and a GLW. All 3 have hatched chicks before for me.

Then one of my easter eggers went broody.

Then the brahma.

I was ok with 5 chickens on nests. I figured they'd give up eventually. We're done hatching chicks here until Mahonri's NYD Hatch.

I only have 9 nest box holes. 29 girls... Some of which have started laying on the ground or in the coop shavings or even under the nest boxes because the "no vacancy" sign has been on far too long.

Then 3 days ago my cuckoo marans (who has also hatched out chicks) went broody.

And today, my Jersey Giant went broody (she's also hatched before).

[​IMG]

First I went with the "don't bug them and they'll give up" route. That didn't work. Then I went with the "throw them back up on the roost at night" technique. That didn't work. I had hormone crazed birds flying off the roost in the middle of the night using their faces to feel out for the nesting boxes. Today I'm going with the caged bird technique. I feel awful. But this has GOT to stop. My poor little phoenix hardly has any meat to her at all anymore.

So... SOMEONE TURN THE BROODY SWITCH OFF!!

2. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I will trade you! My hens that usually go broody for me each year want nothing to do with it this year. Stubborn little bittys! [​IMG] Guess the only chicks I will have this year will be the ones I hatch myself. Hope you can break your hens of their broodyness. Good luck! Your pheonix sounds like she really needs it. Poor girl.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    haha you think you've got it bad, i have, let's see:
    -the two cornish/cochin sisters
    - the serama who went broody the day after she started laying [​IMG]
    -the rosecomb/silkie
    -one of the cornish/cochin's daughters
    -and finally, all three of the cornish/cochin's daughter's daughters!
    -oh, and my modern too!

out of only 15 laying girls, how the heck can i have 9 girls with the "broody bug"????? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  4. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Sounds like a family affair... hahahaha

I got 15 eggs today. For me, that's "dead of winter" numbers.

5. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    I have 5 laying hens, two nest boxes, and for a couple nights, I only had one girl up on the roost. Right now, they are all cooperating except for my silkie...go figure [​IMG] She's no bother though- I just laugh at her! Her eggs are so dinky anyway. The REST of them- holy devil re-incarnate! My blue rock is a she-beast when she's broody- I heard her making that buk buk buk noise the other day, so I think she might be in for another round soon...just as the others started laying again. Goofy birds. No such thing as "normal" [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    blame Sourland and IMP [​IMG] WHAT???..... that's what most people do! [​IMG]

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    yup, it's totally Impy's fault, i know it lol [​IMG]

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Overnight in the cages didn't really help. They're all angry and clucking this morning, right back up on the nest.

Do it again tomorrow night I guess.

9. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I'm going through the same thing, just not as many as you have [​IMG]. The cage thing works, but it takes several days. Overnight won't cut it [​IMG] I have had to break 3 in the last month [​IMG] One more suggestion, if it is possible for you, move them away from the coop completely. I discovered if they can see the coop they just look at it forlornly wishing they could get back to the nest box. The last 2 I had to break I put in the crate in my cellar for 2 days. I found that a little stress from a move breaks them faster. I hat stressing out my girls, but I hate to see them sitting in a nest box day after day, getting skinnier and skinnier. Especially since the weather is so nice and they have a fenced in yard to free range in, I figure a couple of days separated in a strange environment to break them is worth it in the long run.

10. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    such dedication determination to be a mommy.. I would go buy 10 chicks.. put two under each and let them enjoy..especially the one that has been going on for so long.. but that is just me. It is hard to fight instinct and desire for motherhood...

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by