Someone should have warned me!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jul 2, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Warned me how very ugly (not quite a strong enough word) silkies are when they are feathering out!

Taking care of the chicks in their front porch brooder is one of only two things I do before my morning coffee; the other thing is breathing.

I have 2 three week old silkies in the brooder with the rest of the gang, a red one and a blue one. The silkies are getting their feathers (fur?) in now and man oh man are they ugly! Hair sticking out in every direction. Look like an explosion at the beauty parlor. Hard to take it all in before having coffee.

Now I know why they go broody alot as adults. It's to thank us humans for putting up with their ugliness as babies. [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Picture of them in all their glory? For those of us who are not......ehm..blessed with them. [​IMG]

3. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Aaaaah, the "ugly teenager" stage, as my DD likes to call it.....hideous aren't they?

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I have to move quickly this morning because we have to leave before long to take the boys to the vet. I'll try to get pics of the beasties this afternoon.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Yep, try raising sizzles! They turn pretty at maybe 12 week?

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, I know, that's why I bought mine when they were way past that stage. [​IMG] For an animal that grows up to look kind of cute and be very useful, they don't have glamorous beginnings...

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Amen. I didn't get pics of them today. They're all asleep right now. I may go snag them out of the brooder unawares or wait till tomorrow.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Yep mine are entering that stage eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww ick LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by