Someone show mePLEASE LOOK of RIR pullets / RIR roo WHAT IS YOUR OPIN

palomino777902

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
Elizabethtown, PA
Does anyone have any RIRs that are approx. 12 weeks of age.
I have almost my whole flock of mixed breed chickens figured out between hen and rooster.

I have 2 RIRs that are making me hestitate. The two in question have heads that look the same. What is giving me pause is one has the tell tale signs of saddle feathers and the other's back looks hennish.

I have 5 RIRs in all and 3 are obvious hens to me.

So, got any photos?

Last edited:
I don't have any roos, but here is an RIR pullet at about 10-11wks (can't remember exactly):
DSCF0055.jpg

Another pullet at about 15wks:
DSCF0036-1-1.jpg

Thanks Potter. Yours have a head like mine who I DO have pegged for hens. I went down to the pen to get some shots of the two in question. As you can see, the heads (to me) speak roo but the backs??????

Here we go, what do you think?

The two

100_3402.jpg

Maybe a hen?
100_3393.jpg

Same chicken
100_3395.jpg

The two

RIRback.jpg

The one I am sure is a roo
roo.jpg

So there you go, I am 99.9% sure the one is a roo, but the other, head says roo, body says hen????

Big Red looks proud!
Don't you wish we could keep that nice green grass in the run!

I am really sad that almost all the beautiful grass in the run is gone!

Look:

From this:

50590442.jpg

To this:

100_3415.jpg

hit.gif

I am bumping myself back up in the hopes that someone willl come along and look really close at the two RIRs. I am going to be hauling some roosters away very soon and I don't want to make a mistake and send a hen away.

Neither one is crowing yet.

Anyone???

this is Don at around 12 weeks or so. He was always bigger and his legs were much thicker. Some can be questionable, I still had one at that age that I wasnt sure about. Sorry I dont have a better pic or of the RIR girls.
5945_pict1037.jpg

Wow Don and his ladies are pretty!

Thanks for sharing. I am hoping someone comes along and takes a look at the backs of mine to see if they see what I see. I thought I was positive and then one's back starts looking hennish!!! Oh Argh!

I'm sorry but I see cockerels in all those pictures. Only the males should have the green-sheen in their hackle/saddle feathers.

Back
Top Bottom