someone splain me this

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mxpres, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I set 50 quail eggs on the evening of june 28th,,started next day as day one,stopped turning on july 12,14 days after started,that night I had 10 eggs to hatch three days early,,they were due to hatch on friday..17 days after I started the hatch,I have hatched 4 sets prior to this one and they always hatched on the 17 day,,,has anyone ever had an early partial hatch?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Temp too high during incubation will cause early hatches. The chicks don't always survive being too small having hatched premature.

3. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    did you set your own eggs or were they shipped?

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:This is my guess too TD... Im think'in these were shipped eggs and the truck was real hot. Started cook'n when the shipper dropped them off due to hot weather. This is the theory behind by passing the settling of eggs outside the bator, and puttin shipped eggs straight in the bator and not turning them for a few days. If I smell what TD is steppin in... Bill

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:YEP... JUST WAIT THO... THERE WILL LIKELY BE MORE. THIS CAN BE QUITE COMMON IN THE STYRO BATORS TOO (HOT SPOTS IN STILL AIR MODELS)

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:This is my guess too TD... Im think'in these were shipped eggs and the truck was real hot. Started cook'n when the shipper dropped them off due to hot weather. This is the theory behind by passing the settling of eggs outside the bator, and puttin shipped eggs straight in the bator and not turning them for a few days. If I smell what TD is steppin in... Bill

we will see, day 14 here, stopped turning, heat has been ~100.0 throughout, humidity sitting dead at 40-50%, no smells, I haven't really touched it for days, taped it flippin shut. [​IMG]

7. mxpres

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    temp stayed right on 99/101 ,I did everything just like I did during the last 4 settings,I always keep close check on the temp and have never had a problem with it,I keep two thermometers in the bator and they both read the same,the 10 that hatched are eating and drinking with no problems. and I hatch my own eggs the last 3 times and have had 75% or better to hatch..last hatch was 45 out of 55 eggs to hatch..7 was not fertile and the other 3 died in the shell,something went wrong,I still have eggs rocking in the bator due to hatch friday,,i'll have to wait and see,,,thanks for the input,I appreciate the advise

8. mxpres

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    Quote:Forgot to mention ,I keep a quail carton setting on the table next to the bator,I get 10/12 eggs everyday,I put the eggs in the carton small side down to the air pocket will be up,they sit for 5/6 days in 70/75 degree temp before I start the incubation,,,could that temp have caused an early hatch?

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    hi mxpres, so these are your eggs? your birds laid em? that is a lil wierd then. sounds like you are on it, go with your gut and hope all of em hatch, any pics? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Forgot to mention ,I keep a quail carton setting on the table next to the bator,I get 10/12 eggs everyday,I put the eggs in the carton small side down to the air pocket will be up,they sit for 5/6 days in 70/75 degree temp before I start the incubation,,,could that temp have caused an early hatch?

Thats the way I do it too... Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by