someone stole my chocolate hen... X(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by zzGypsy, Dec 21, 2011.

1. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    so I get home last night and unlock the driveway gate... and the lock springs apart and parts go on the ground. I'm thinking "what the heck?" and take a look... it's been cut with bolt cutters and then propped back together to appear locked. I get my sidearm, check around the whole place, don't see anything missing. goats, dogs, cats, vehicles are all there. house is locked and doesn't look like anyone's been inside. turkeys are roosted up under the barn overhang. ducks and geese are in their pen. but its dark and hard to tell for sure if they're all there.

get up this morning and do another walkaround and animal count. everyone is there except my chocolate turkey hen. I found 2 handfuls of feathers - mostly tail and back feathers, the sort of thing you'd get if you were grabbing a turkey that was trying to escape you. no small body feather, no blood, no carcass.

don't think it was a coyote (although there are plenty here) unless the local coyotes have learned to used bolt cutters.

we've had 2 real estate agents and one potential home buyer on the property, and noone else. (we lease the house, the owner is trying to sell it.)the birds do free range during the day, and they're not in the same area as my LGDs (they're still too young to be trusted with poultry), but they're way back from the road behind the house and it's unlikely anyone could see them from the road.

I'm like seven kinds of mad right now. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

called the sheriff, but there's not much they can do with nothing much to go on.

anyway, just ranting. [​IMG]

my LGDs need to grow up faster so I can have them lose in the bigger area. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Now aint that strange? I'd be furious and a bit worried whomever it was may come back.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sounds like it might be time for a game cam for times you're not home....

4. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:seriously doing this on my next paycheck.

5. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:yeah, mad mad.
    worried. yeah. that too.

6. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

GRRRRR. the more I learn about people the more I love my animals.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    People stole a gander from our lake last week, probably for Christmas dinner. A Pekin duck was possibly stolen last month, probably for Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone loved these guys and both animals were residents of the lake for years. I hope no one else gets stolen. In August, a Canada goose disappeared and someone said they saw someone get out of a van and grab it.

8. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    My "neighbors" come into my posted private fenced property and steal my tortoises out of their habitats!!! It's very distressing! I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    Dang! I sure hate it for you. Something else I hate, a thief.

10. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:thank you, it's good to have the folks here help me hate this. [​IMG]
    it's hate-worthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by