Someone stole some of my chicks!! (update page 2)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tala, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I just did a quick glance check on the birds this morning before work. I usually fill the feeders when I come home at night.

I got off earlier than usual and went out to collect the eggs.
    One egg was not in the nest box and was cracked. Maybe Queenie didn't make it to the box, or maybe something tried to steal it and got scared away?

I think, well it will make a great snack for the babies, but when I get to them their heat lamp was unplugged!?! what?? I know it was on last night. The power blinked this morning, but that doesn't make the extention cord physically come UNPLUGGED out in the yard.

There really isn't a gate to my yard (no one could come in the fence without messing it up) and all the fences were as I left them this morning. Perhaps this morning in the daylight I missed that the red light was off, but geez why would anyone unplug a light in someone else's yard after dark? It's not like it hurts anything or bothers the neighbors or anything. The dog didn't bark in the night, and the only way in would be by coming in the back deck right past the back door - Dusti has barked if a strange dog quietly came on the deck at night so I highly doubt any person could sneak past her.

I'm bothered about it, mostly because I have no explination for it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. tori20224

tori20224 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2009
    Casey County,Kentucky
    id would be so freaked out

once i was in the livin room playin on the computer i think...and then like someone was like shakin the door and it was so creepy so i started screamin and ran into the bedroom [​IMG] [​IMG] and luckily nothin else happened

but before and after that we have thought we have seen some hispanics standin in ours and the neighbors yard and a bunch live pretty close to us [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Kinda sounds like me with my mystery chicken. Someone at some time put a barred rock in our coop. [​IMG]

4. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Quote:That s . . . . . . . . . . odd.

Are your chicks ok Tala?

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yeah they seemed OK. It was pretty cool and windy today, but they were just huddling up, not screaming their heads off or anything.

They're 4 weeks old tomorrow and do have a decent amount of feathers. They have 3-walled enclosure for wind protection too.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  6. hujabuga2

hujabuga2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2009
    maine
    I don't know about this one. Ooooh ooh maybe, just maybe you were sleepwalking! (its just a possibillity)

7. debilorrah

Are your chicks ok Tala?

It IS odd. Just commenting on people going in your yard. I got a really nice hen out of it, but still a little uncomfortable.

At our old place, our neighbor lady used to come into our backyard and pull our weeds at 6 am. Talk about odd. We just locked the doors and let her do our yard work.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Are your chicks ok Tala?

It IS odd. Just commenting on people going in your yard. I got a really nice hen out of it, but still a little uncomfortable.

At our old place, our neighbor lady used to come into our backyard and pull our weeds at 6 am. Talk about odd. We just locked the doors and let her do our yard work.

What bothers me is that my back yard is NOT easy to get into. There is solid welded wire fence on 2 sides, chainlink on the other, and cattle panels on the side with the house on it. You have to go over my back porch to get back there, and that would surely wake the dog up, but nothing did.

I can't figure out how it got unplugged then.

If someone slipped past the dog that bothers me just as much or more.

BUT why go through all the trouble????? [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

Quote:It IS odd. Just commenting on people going in your yard. I got a really nice hen out of it, but still a little uncomfortable.

What bothers me is that my back yard is NOT easy to get into. There is solid welded wire fence on 2 sides, chainlink on the other, and cattle panels on the side with the house on it. You have to go over my back porch to get back there, and that would surely wake the dog up, but nothing did.

I can't figure out how it got unplugged then.

If someone slipped past the dog that bothers me just as much or more.

BUT why go through all the trouble????? [​IMG]

Tala at the old place we had 5ft chain link locked fences. Here we have 6ft fences, just not locked. Here is more likely than the last place. So now I have a nice hen and at the old place my yard was weeded. [​IMG] Odd people out there my dear. I really hope you figure it out. As well I hope I do too. I do NOT need people dumping chickens in my coop!

10. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    It's BIGFOOT!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by