Someone tell me it will be ok

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kizanne, Dec 22, 2011.

1. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I set eggs at night on Friday, Dec. 2nd

Somehow and don't ask me how got Wed. as lockdown day not Tuesday like I should have.

I was on dry incubation so humidity was 35%. Worst part was I candled them last night with a high power light (think heat sucks out humidity). Didn't see any movement but air sacs looked good with a few little shadows (figured that maybe internal pip). They were in front of the light no longer than 8 seconds.

Put them back in the incubator raised the humidity to 70%

Woke up last night in a sweat as I figured out in an accurate nightmare that I candled possibly shrink wrapping them on day 19.

This morning I don't see any movement or hear any peeping (course hard to tell with my brooder filled with cornish cross a few rooms away but pretty sure no peeping or movement.

I know that nobody can say what is going to happen so I'm gonna let them sit there inthe incubator til Monday just in case of a late hatch but....

I'd love to hear the 'oh yeah I did that and I have a great hatch'. Anyone

2. acw123

acw123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    I always candle right before placing in lockdown to make sure I am not putting in bad eggs and hatch has been fine. I don't think you shrinkwrapped from candling. I recently forgot to remove one of my eggs from the turner that i had humidity down at 35 and noticed a broken egg when I was checking temp two days later and a little chick was sitting on the turner. Felt really bad I missed it but was amazed it was able to hatch with humidity where it was. I think you are fine. They don't move much at this point as there really isn't a lot of room to move in the egg if all is going well. I have also put eggs in day late with no problems. Just sit on your hands and wait. I am currently doing the same thing with eggs that went into lockdown yesterday. Good luck.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I really don't think you did anything wrong, just be patient.
    You won't see alot of movement, as the chick takes up all the room in the shell now.
    Be calm....breathe....

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:There is a gentleman on here Pete55 who has a lot of useful information on assisted hatches, humidity, etc... He wrote that he doesn't increase the humidity until he sees a pip! Do a search for Pete55 and read his threads. It will bring you lots of comfort [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I dry incubate because I was having a problem with our natural humidity being to high down here and I follow his advice and my hatches have improved. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It is still early [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Friday is your hatch day and sometimes I don't ever see any movement till they actually pip externally. Sometimes I do see rocking but not always!!! Sometimes I hear peeping but sometimes not [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] They are not late and if the shell was still intact I don't think you shrink wrapped [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    the shells were all definately intact!!!! Thanks I do feel better. I set late on Friday so I'm thinking I'll actually have a very early Sat. hatch LOL that was I can win a swing.

6. CSisley

CSisley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    If you set your eggs the night of Dec 2, you will likely get your first pip tomorrow Friday Dec 23.

7. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I did the Exact same thing, Mine was set 12-2-11 which meant a Friday hatch here, and I did Lockdown on monday, for some reason I was a day Early, Low and behold, Woke this morning, to find him Pipping, and about an hour ago, I had a Chick walking around. So a day early in lockdown wont do much harm. On a side not, I forgot some dates, as all mine are scattered hatches, I think I have a chick due every day of the week, but I forgot to take one out of the turner even and he hatched, and that was a Dry hatch as well. So you just never know, but then again I just had to throw out about 15 ducks, that were fully formed just never pipped and hatched, That was a gut wrenching feeling in my tummy. Good Luck and hang in there... [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    I think you'll be just fine! I didn't put mine in lockdown until I saw a couple had internally pipped when I candled on Sunday, and they pipped/hatched over the next couple of days. It's when they externally pip that you can do some damage. Let us know how the hatch goes! Crossing my fingers for you [​IMG]

9. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Well, I think every one said it... if there are any issues with the hatch, it will not be because you were a day late going into lockdown. They only need the humidity when they externally pip. (Not that I know, but from everything that I've read....)

And for what it's worth... I candled yesterday at Day 14, and couldn't see movement. Everyone has reassured me that that is ok. No temp or humidity problems that I know of.... Waiting to see how my hatch goes, too. 8)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  10. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Quote:Sometimes they just don't feel like showing off for you [​IMG] Toward the end of incubation it's more difficult to see movement anyway. Also, Kizanne, I forgot to mention that most of my eggs didn't move or peep before they started zipping. I was a little worried, then all of a sudden 5 out of 6 babies were hatched!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by