Someone tell me it will be okay

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dreamwallaby, Jun 26, 2010.

1. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Was down at a lake today with my 18month old and we were watching this mommy duck with 5 babies. So cute. then we went around the otherside of the lake and found a pair with 1 baby. When we left i heard this flapping, turned around and the pair had flown away and left their single baby in the middle of the lake calling after them! They flew pretty far, couldn't even see where they landed, but it was not even the same body of water. That poor little duckling was calling and calling. It was too young to be alone [​IMG] made me want to cry to hear it so sad and scared.
    Someone tell me this is normal and that the parents will fly back or that single mommy with the 5 babies might take it in. ~ Otherwise I might be out at the lake tomorrow trying to rescue a duckling.

2. Sometimes they do do this to go find food elsewhere the baby can't go, and will return. I would reccommend keeping an eye tomorrow for the baby and its parents. If the baby is still alone, you should contact a rehabilitator immediately and seek advice from them.

3. Violet22

Violet22 Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    I was so upset yesterday, I have one day old baby, and two ducks sitting on the nest inside a doghouse with more to come. The mothers came out last night and left the baby all alone, it started going all over looking for it's mom, and my teenage ducklings tried to kill it. I was so glad I was there to rescue it. Poor thing, it was cold because the teenagers shoved it under a water puddle. My other mother never left her nest when they were that young, and always stayed with them and fought others off when she did start taking them for walks. I didn't have teenagers then, and the adults never bothered them. When the mothers got back in the doghouse, I put the baby back in with them, and then put plastic hardware cloth around the area with the doghouse with lots of room for their food and water and to walk about a bit. When the mothers came out to see what I had done when I left, they were ticked! Oh well, I want the babies to be safe.

I guess I am going to have to do the same thing when my other duck hatches hers. I knew most people separate the babies, but I had no real idea the teenage ducks would be so violent. Baby is safe, and lesson learned!

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    They do leave the baby to forage sometimes.. Momma and daddy should take good care of it...

5. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Songster

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    Many will bird species will fly away from their babies if there is a threat nearby (ie, you, the human), just to try to distract the predator away.

6. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    deanna&rich :

Many will bird species will fly away from their babies if there is a threat nearby (ie, you, the human), just to try to distract the predator away.

I was wondering if they got scared of a dog. They weren't bothered by us and I didn't get that close, but as we were leaving a woman came walking by with her dog. It was leashed and didn't take any notice of them but maybe that's why they took off ? I keep telling myself nature will take care of it, but it doesn't make me feel any better about hearing that sad little cry.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by