Someone tell me it's ok to candle everyday!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DanIndiana, Feb 14, 2012.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    First batch. Tried yesterday, day 3, saw a little. Today there is significant veining coming out. I just love seeing the development. If it's less than 3 minutes out of incubator, can I get away with doing it everyday? Way too fun.

2. Carriedz

Carriedz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    California
    Some say yes, some say no. I have a Brinsa Mini advance which automatically keeps temp and turns eggs. So I really don't need to open the incubator except to candle every 4 days or add water. But I am so impatient and can not help but check on them. If you have to manually turn them 3 or 5 times a day, I would not candle every day as this is alot of loss in heat and humidity.

My Brinsa instructions states under the heading of "Cold injury and chilling of the hatching egg". "Cooling eggs for short periods, say 30 to 40 minutes, on a regular basis (say once every 24 hours) at any stage during incubation has no detrimental effect and is probably of benefit.) This is as long as you are only taking one egg out at a time and putting it back as soon as you determine status of the egg.

Also be aware the more you candle the more chance of damage of tiny veins, dropping the egg or introducing bacteria to the egg.

Good luck and try to be patient.

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Its fine. Remember that the hen gets off her nest every day for 10 to 15 minutes to eat and go potty. The eggs are airing out so to speak or another term is cooling off. When you are candeling they are doing the same thing. Just be careful not to drop them. I have done that and it is totally irritating, because it is always the fertile ones that slip out of my hands, never the duds.

Lanae

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Just be careful not to get a case of butterfingers! I did once when candling...

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay LOL, you're not going to want to hear what I say, but please remember that it's from years of learning and taking really hard lessons and shared with Love on this Valentines Day!

Reasons why you shouldn't candle daily, by opening the top of a stable (hopefully) that is maintaining accurate needed humidity and temperature, into an unstable environment, in which you might be loosing some of that stable incubator temp/humidity and then your hands could be contaminated (yes, oils and soaps and lotions can leave your hands and get on the eggs which are porous, contaminating them... and yes you could candle out ones that were alive, I've done that - especially on our darker eggs like our marans.... and worst of all, I've dropped a tray, oh yes, I left a tray out and didn't put it back in until hours later.... Oh yes, I stopped the incubator and forgot to starty the cabinet back after candling..... Now, I candle before lockdown because I can still repeat all the above errors, but if i don't it's okay....Fresh eggs will be okay!

6. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I try not to fuss over the eggs too much, especially days 1 to 10. I candle the day before I'm going to add a new set so I know how much room I have for new eggs (I do staggered hatches) and the day of lockdown, that's pretty much it. I have to admit, however, that when I first started hatching I checked on them a lot. I couldn't help myself! .

7. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Can you tell me about this staggered hatch thing?? Doesn't going into lockdown w/ the first group & raising the humidity affect the 2nd group??? I've always wondered how a staggered hatch works....please enlighten me. Thanks!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's fun to do it, but you really should try and hold back a little, and watch the butterfingers!

9. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Can i get away with this...i work 4 days a week aporx 10 hr days. I have one LG with no egg turner. If i turn by hand will it be okay to only turn them before i go to work and after i get home?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by