1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Someone told me that i need to. Get rid of a rooster. What's their breeds?how do choose?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mikenjenn, Feb 3, 2016.

1. mikenjenn

mikenjenn New Egg

Feb 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The one in your pic is a mixed breed rooster. I would keep the rooster that has the best temperament as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock.

3. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    depends on there temperament if they both have excellent temperaments you might be able to keep both[​IMG]

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Why are you keeping a rooster?

That determines a lot of which rooster to keep.

And does the person who told you that you need to get rid of a rooster have any one in mind? Or do they simply feel it is not a good idea to keep beyond "x" amount of roosters.

I agree with the others, temperament is always a priority. Never keep a rooster that is mean or aggressive.

Next look to health. Do not keep a bird that has health issues or may have.

Then will the bird do the job you want done? Is he to be a flock protector? Or to breed certain qualities?

If breeding, choose the best stock to further your goals that has good health and temperament.

If protection, choose the best bird who takes care of his girls but still recognizes humans as non-threats.

My thoughts.

LofMc

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Keeping two roos also depends on how may hens you have. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens, over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. With very gentle roosters the number of hens per rooster can be dropped slightly but I wouldn't advise dropping it below 8 hens. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Mixed breed

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Most roosters aren't very good protection for their flock. First predator will take them out, so no help for the girls. The best a rooster can do is sound the alarm early enough for the girls to run and hide. A lot of folks go rooster-less unless they need fertile eggs or hatching or sale.

8. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I agree totally! My alpha hen does a pretty good job at alarm sounding. I am now roosterless and a lot happier for it!

CT

1 person likes this.
  9. mikenjenn

mikenjenn New Egg

Feb 3, 2016

10. mikenjenn

mikenjenn New Egg

Feb 3, 2016
    Thank you.....I'm certain I'll have many more questions, I'm just learning about all of this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by