Someone took my threats seriously. UPDATE - The Perfect Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ruth, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Earlier this week I started telling my girls that we were having a bunch of people over this weekend and the menu was either going to be "omeletts or chicken - you decide".

This morning I found these:

[​IMG]

The one on the left is a Grade A Large from grocery:

[​IMG]

The one on right was small and both eggs were so soft I didn't think I could pick them up without them bursting open. But I guess I shouldn't complain since they were laid under pressure.

For an update on today's (Sunday) perfect egg - keep scrolling.....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    LmBo!Boost up the oyster shell and get the skillet hot![​IMG]

3. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Wow Ruth, don't worry, those girls will come through real soon with hard shells. Just don't push them too hard, you are one tough chicken Mom! Congrats [​IMG]

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    great news mate!!! Isnt it a grand feeling???? we found 3 today...although my genious 6 yr old suggests that since the extra 2 today (which are both the same colour but different from the brown we have been getting each day) were in a homemade nest in the shavings rather than the nesting boxes, maybe the same chicken laid them...clever little buggar my son!

5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Grade A, isn't that a rooster egg its brown not white?? [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Congrats...you can still eat the rubber eggs too...Waste not, want not.[​IMG]

7. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Sometimes you just gotta get tough with them!!!

2 weeks ago, I threatened my pullets too. Today I gathered 30 eggs for the 3rd day in a row!!![​IMG]

Jean

8. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Roosters egg?You mean fertile egg?Brown eggs are fresh eggs!The more they push out the lesser brown they become,yes?[​IMG]

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:No I thought brown ones were rooster eggs, so brown ones are fresh so they get lighter as they become unfresh?? So all the white eggs from the store are unfresh, I think I need help!!

What color of egg will my rooster give wont it be brown and fertile?? or are only the hen eggs fertile when they are brown???

10. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    My 10 year old son has a little girlfriend. Her Mom came over the other day to meet me and she asked to see my chickens. I took her around the back and even showed her the babies. She looked very confused (because I told her I hatched them from an incubator) and she asked what they ate. I told her chicken feed and she said, "Don't they have to nurse off of their Mamma?" LOL

I'm not expecting eggs until the middle of October. The time is just dragging on...

Take care

Tami

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by