Someone took one of my chickens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by urbanfarmers, Jul 3, 2010.

1. urbanfarmers

urbanfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    We came home tonight and went and checked on the chickens only to find out someone has taken one of my chicks!!! I did research before getting my chickens to make sure it was 'legal' and we found nothing that said we COULD NOT have them. My neighbor has them and I also spoke to someone in the same city and county that also has chickens. None of us has found anything that specifically says we can't have them.

My husband and neighbor both said not to call the police but what the heck do I do? Now we are going to have to put padlocks on the door and window to the coop and the door to the run just to protect someone from taking more chickens. This happen some time after 3:51 pm and 8:30 pm. My thinking is if someone is going to come in my yard and steal a chicken then they are going to have the nerve to break into a home during the day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the remainder of my chickens safe from some nutty bird who had the nerve to steal a chicken during daylight hours?! I just don't want to find out houses are being broken into in my area because I didn't report that someone stole something from us...and in turn they think they 'got away with it' and start doing bigger crimes.

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I recommend some video survillance equipment. . . . .

Human or animal - - - your vistor will probably return . . .

3. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    get :
    a big dog
    a game camera
    fence
    no trespassing signs
    security lights
    locks
    a gun [​IMG]

and leave a note for them for the next time they come back telling them what an ***hole they are

4. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    buy or borrow a game camera.

put flour on the ground by doors/ windows etc

another of my personal favorites is make it obivous that you have a gun and know how to shoot. take a paper target and blow out the center,
    then write on it "this could be you!"

electric fence isn't a bad idea but not sure if it is strong enough to send the message i want them to get [​IMG]

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    did you check your zoning bylaws prior to getting chickens? In any event I would report the issue. If someone has the gull to walk right into your place steal one of the babies and walk right back out, what is stopping them from taking anything else. However I might take another good look for itand see if it somehow got out?? I am sure you've already done this though. Good luck I hope you find the chick and the culprit!!!

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Seems odd that someone would steal one chick....Any chance you could have a snake hanging around? [​IMG]

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Are you sure it was a human? Is it possible that a snake might have gotten in the coop? It seems unlikely that a person would only steal one...

8. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Are you sure it was 'someone' and not 'something'?

I mean, did the perpetrator have to go into your coop to get the chick and on the way out shut the door/window behind them?
    Or is it possible that your chick could've been taken by a hawk from above, or by something like a snake or weasel by getting through the wire or through a hole?

How old/large is the missing chick? Did the perp have a choice of victims and why do you think they would choose that specific chick? Is it a fancy breed?

Just some questions to help give us all a better idea of your situation. It's a nasty thought that someone would steal a chick, given that they can bought for not a lot of money or even free if it's a cockerel.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:We posted at the same time! Great minds think alike....

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:We posted at the same time! Great minds think alike....

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by