Someone Tossed this in my Coop.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by andreanar, Sep 15, 2018.

1. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Opened the coop up this morning and this bird walks out. Have no idea where it came from or how it got into my coop! Anyhow, its free ranging with my chickens acting like its been there its whole life. Is it a Barred Rock?
    newchic.jpg newchic1.jpg

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Looks like it. Wow, gotta love people. Hopefully it doesn't get your birds sick.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I would check it over & maybe too late but quarantine for illness. Although :fl maybe someone just got tired of their chicken?

4. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    The chicken fairy seems to like you. A health check is in order, I agree. Personally I'd be more concerned that someone was wandering my yard in the middle of the night.

dunnmom, Seaecho, penny1960 and 18 others like this.
  5. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I def did a check over! Dang thing has lice! So tomorrow I get to treat every chicken and their areas. Yeah, Im totally freaked over someone wandering the property. And that chicken carrying something worse than just lice. Its time for their worming anyway, so everyone will be getting that too. The newbie appears well, not thin, eyes clear, poop looks normal, feet/legs good, comb color good. Im betting she's older and isn't laying anymore. We will see.

6. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more

Girlfriend you are kidding me right?
    Someone ditched their chicken in your coop?

This is a first. (for me)

Look like a Barred Rock to me. :confused:

7. 8 Chicks 1967

8 Chicks 1967 Songster

Oct 18, 2017
    Morganton North Carolina
    Looking at her shanks , she is not that old. Sorry she had lice.

8. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    That has happened to me before on a couple of occasions, and it has happened to others I know of. Truly frustrating. But at least in this case it is a hen, not a rooster.

9. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more

Nuts to me.
    I really have not ever heard of something like this.
    People are nuts.
    This is crazy.

10. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    It happened when I lived closer to the road and people could see the coops. Hasn't happened since then. I lock my coops now, too.

It is crazy but there are a lot of people out there who will take the easiest road possible in relieving themselves of a problem. And if they put a bird in someone else's coop, they will believe that person kept the chicken and it wasn't killed, which is probably enough to alleviate guilty consciences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: