Someone unplugged the hatcher....IT'S ZIPPING!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Sep 19, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    And I didn't realize it until 7 p.m. [​IMG] I noticed this morning (around 9 a.m.) that there was only 1 cord plugged into that outlet. I have 2 cords, one is an extension cord that has the hatcher and one heat light (with 40-75 watt bulb) on it, the other is another heat light.

Today was the day of our chickenstock at my house, so I was pretty busy. I thought there were supposed to be 2 cords, but thought that I'd just plugged both lights into the extension cord.

One of my local BYCers had picked up my chick order on Monday, and brought them with her today. I didn't put a light on them immediately, cause it is about 80-85* in that room. So when I finally got done with everything for the day and went to turn their light on, it wouldn't work...okay, change the bulb...still doesn't work?? What the heck?? Then I noticed that the cord was unplugged.

My hatcher temp was 79*. One of the eggs was pipped either last night or this morning, and the pip is the same as it was. None of the other eggs have pipped.

Did the low temps kill my chicks?

Would it be okay to open the hatcher and check the egg that is pipped??

I've never had this happen before, and I have no idea who unplugged it. When I figure it out, they'd better hide!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Maybe everything will turn out ok for ya

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I think you can open it- I've had lots of reasons to open and it's been fine- I would use the window if you have a window-type. That way you aren't washing out all of the air in the bator but just leaking some.

I'm so sorry! What an awful thing to happen! This is why I moved all 6 of mine into the basement where no one else will ever go!

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I just hope these didn't all die. These are the very last eggs from my BTW jap rooster, the other eggs from the remaining hen weren't fertile [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I signed off, shut the pc down and everything, then went to check my eggs and visit with my bitties for a while. Not only is that egg zipping, but another was rocking, and another now has a pip! [​IMG] So hopefully they'll be okay! [​IMG]

6. ilovesilkies

ilovesilkies Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    Hey im happy for ya!! I know from experince how fustrating it can be when these things happen, as a matter of fact i just put some eggs on to incubate 2 days ago and found out the rotator wasnt plugged in. So i hope they are ok i just discovered it this afternoon. I know in the past i have had eggs on to incubate and our electric went off for a hour or so and as long as you keep the lid shut on times like that they will survive for a short time. You can also candle or in my case flashlight them in a dark room to see if they are still alive. They will move inside the egg. Its the neatist thing i ever saw. GOOD LUCK with your hatch..[​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was worried because I know the hatcher was unplugged at least 12 hours. The bator was closed the whole time and the temp had dropped to 79* (a full 20 degree drop!). So this surprises me that they seem to be doing well! I hope they make it out [​IMG]

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah!! Happy thoughts for continued pipping, zipping, and hatching![​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think the rocker that had no visual pips is going to beat the first pipper out! I checked again (of course!) and it was also zipping! [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well, I'll never know which one was first, they are both out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by