Someone vandelized my beehive

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rhoda_bruce, Dec 6, 2010.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well I have 4 beehives in my yard and I have tried and failed 3 times to keep bees in my father's orchard. I got to believe that something fishy was going on. So over the summer, I was hired to remove a swarm from someone's wall and I put the kidnapped bees in a hive body in the orchard, but we bought a game cam.
    All was fine as long as it was sultry hot, but now that its cooler and hunting season, and unfortunately the cam's batteries died, we get a call from my brother that the hive was turned over. Well my bro has guts, because he put it as straight as he could @ night, without protection and covered them. By the time I found out the next morning, I mixed some syrup, got my gear and went over. That was when I discovered they had been shot with a shotgun and that the batteries were dead.
    Well I straightened the hive and put the second brood chamber and covered and changed batteries. Now we are going to keep a real close eye on it.
    I just don't see how some people function.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That's awful!
    I have to say though, when I read the title (& before I read about the shotgun) I thought bears! We don't usually see alot of bears around here, but... we have a neighbor that keeps a few hives on our place. A couple weeks ago he brought the one hive to show to us and it had been ripped apart by a bear.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Ugh! So sorry, I just don't get people sometimes.

Imp

4. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    So sorry! Bees should be treated like an endangered species. People can be sooooo dumb. Hope you figure out who is doing the damage.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Be sure to check the local trespass code. You might be allowed to shoot the varmint.

6. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    That really stinks![​IMG]

Some people. If they actually had a brain they would know how without bees there would be a severe lack of certain foods.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Bet its some hunter being a fool.

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

if it's people, catch them and get them arrested. If it's bears, call the game warden. If it's bears with shotguns, HIDE!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    chickensducks&agoose :

If it's bears with shotguns, HIDE!

[​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I too thought bears. A bear got into my neighbors hives and destroyed 5 out of 11. Sadly enough there are lots of jerks in the world. What kind of jollies can someone get from shooting a bee hive?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by