Someone wants to buy my excess hens, how much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aliciaford, Jul 7, 2008.

1. aliciaford

aliciaford Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2008
    A friend of a friend would like to buy about 10 -15 of my excess hens. We ordered about 75 straight run chickens which are now about 17 weeks old and should be laying soon. The plan was to use dual purpose birds since this was my first time and see what I wanted to keep as far as hens and put the roosters in the freezer. I have since lost a few and sold a couple to my friend, but now that people know I have chickens several people have expressed interest in the excess hens and friends have told me not to put a $10 -15 hen in the freezer. I am not really picky about what I want to keep and what I want to sell and how much to ask??? So many questions...
    I have RIR, Barred Rock, Ameracaunas, Buff Orphingtons, Black Austrolorps, White Wyndotte, Golden Comets, and Light Brahmas. What to keep and what to sell? Thanks. Alicia:confused:

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    $10 to $15 is what I sell mine for at point of lay. It would depend on which ones you like as to which to keep. Good Luck with them.

3. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    $10-15 is what a young laying hen goes for here as well. I see them all the time on Craigs List for $15 but they are advertised a tthe feedstore for $10. It is worthwhile for those people who want eggs but do not relish the idea of raising chicks/pullets with no immediate return. If you can get $15 for a hen, why would you put her in the freezer?!

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We paid $15 per hen for our first 5 hens. They were all almost at laying age.

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    thats incredible you are lucky to get 4 bucks a head here.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Point of lay pullets should sell for $10 - $15. If they don't sell don't give them away. Put them in the freezer knowing you raised them clean and well.

7. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I agree, 10-15 is a reasonable price, depends on the breed though. By the way im pretty new here this only being my 2nd post and just wondering how to get the smiley faces, not just their description and how to download picture for my profile from google oh and how to make my own post, not just reply to others

thnx

Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by