Someone wants to give me 2 male ducks

RedheadErin

Songster
8 Years
Nov 30, 2011
Yep! More animals! Can I possibly keep these 2 male ducks together? Will they fight? can they bunk with the chickens in the winter? What else should I know?

Overall, you won't know until you try but two male ducks raised together 'should' be fine and can be mixed with hens. There are far too many variables for a generalised statement. Enjoy!
This is not good advice. Keeping Drakes with chickens works great!... until it doesn't. It only takes one attempted mating for a drake to injure or kill a hen. Why would you want to take that risk? If you go to the emergencies/diseases section, and type drake injured hen (or something similar) into the search bar, you will see many, many, many instances where poor hens have suffered severe trauma from drakes attempting to mate them.
Just because nothing has happened yet, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

2 drakes can be great buds, unless you add in females then the fighting will start. But if you plan to just keep these two bachelors they should be just fine.

I would recomend not putting them with your hens since they might try to mate them (which will kill them). Plus ducks are so messy with there water! They need to be able to have deep enough water to get there entire head into. It also is nice to give them a kiddie pool/pond, not just for their enjoyment but its very pleasurable to watch them youself an there excitment of the pool
smile.png

Have fun!

I had too many Muscovy drakes (until today). They just reached sexual maturity and were trying to breed with my chickens. They were all fine in the yard, the chickens actually picked on them a bit but the hormones started. My girls were here first but I also ended up with 1 female and 4 male ducks. I would not take them unless you are able to keep them safely away from the chickens, at all times.

My Pekin duck was born July 4, 2022 but I’m still not sure if it’s male or female because it doesn’t have the loud quack like everybody says females have but it I can hear the quack it’s not a little throaty squeak that some people say male ducks have and it does not have a curled feather on its tail. Should I continue to wait another few weeks or a month and then the curl will appear or the quack will become more distinct? Originally I had two ducks that I got from tractor supply. Unfortunately one of them met was killed by something a raccoon maybe.. (since then I have taken greater precautions for their safety keeping them penned up with chickens in large open fenced yard when I’m not nearby )The other one has grown fine but I’m not sure if it’s male or female. I want to get him or her a buddy because the two of them looked like they really cuddled up and liked each other before the first one met its demise a month ago. but first I would like to know what I have. But I don’t see any clearly distinguishing features nor do I have anything to compare him or her too. Any suggestions?

Don't trust a vet to tell you, as did I. The duck he said was a female turned out (ay 4 months) to be another drake. As sibling to my large drake I assumed he was right because that duck was smaller and did not hiss (or show aggression) as did the drake. The tails looked very different as well. Also didn't progress (caruncles, wing and feather acquisition, & flying) as did the obvious drake. That said even with 2 ducks sometimes it is not so obvious!

They won't fight but do you have anyother ducks than just these 2?

Ducks are not like chickens so you don't need to worry about that. You can have them be with the chickens but make sure the food is in a deep container and the water too so they can clean out their bills all of the time. The water will get muddy but hey their ducks.

Back
Top Bottom