Someone was in my coop...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ams3651, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    when I went out yesterday the latch on the door was inside between the door and frame instead of outside (its broken and proped shut) the lower roost, they sleep higher up, was broken. The feeder was knocked over and food all over the floor and Don was in fighting mode. Came at me as soon as I walked in. Everyone as present and accounted for no worse for the wear. Id hate to see who ever came up against Don. All hail Don the protector of Hens [​IMG] And yes, we re fixing that door today.

2. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I kinda sounds like a person. Was anything wrong with you house?

3. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Hooray for Don!

I'm a little confused --- your description makes it sound like an animal, but the title makes it sound like a person. Do you think it really might be a person? That's what I worried about the most, with the economy going the way it is. I don't think an animal predator can get into my coop, but a person sure could.

We have LGDs out there now, but for a long time I was padlocking the coop at night, and I installed a wireless chime to ring in my bedroom if the coop was opened in the middle of the night.

I'm either paranoid or like my chickens a lot. [​IMG]

4. agirly4chicks

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Quote:What is LGD's?

5. agirly4chicks

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I have a regular door with a lock. We don't even have the coop completed and it is locked right now.

I don't want the neighbors to think they can come over and get eggs.

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    had to be a person because the door is proped shut with a board and it was just that the door had been closed wrong. The "coop" is half the shed so its kind of narrow if they were being rooster attacked they would knock everything down. They do have free run of the whole shed for the winter though.

House was fine, the coop is at the opposite end of the house so I didnt hear anything. Theres a motion light on the house but not the coop. Guess its time to upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  7. agirly4chicks

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I would not have been able to sleep last night.

8. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Quote:LGD = livestock guardian dog

In our case, it's a pair of Great Pyrenees. They won't even let songbirds hang out in the chicken yard. [​IMG]

9. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I have to disagree. I think an animal (e.g., raccoon) could easily get in if the door isn't shut properly. And by your description, it sounds like Don did take "it" on. Hope your chickens are closed in safe tonight!

10. trinity

trinity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Amarillo Texas
    being a person i think would be scarrier.maybe they had hungry kids and just needed some eggs.If it was its sad what the world is coming to.[​IMG]
    If it keeps happening i would get a camera if i had the thought that it might be human.
    but either way goo DON lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by