someones gotta know the answer to this one ! *UPDATE *

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moosenbudda, Oct 12, 2009.

1. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    I have a batch of millie fluers and old english game bantams one of my millie fluers keeps singing almost like an egg song but almost like a frog crock and shes really nervous she keeps jumping into boxes scratching squating then gets right back up. I bought 24 ladies and 2 roosters from a guy down the street I thought they had a protein issue but its more of a feather plucking issue. I seperated 9 and now they all seem alot happier in there separate coops. Its been so long since I had chickens before these ladies that I forgot what that whole singing ment. And they have never ever laid an egg so far ! please help !

UPDATE !
    *************** SO i GOT MY FIRST EGG !!!!!!!!!***********

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. moosenbudda

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    [​IMG] anyone ? [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would suggest checking the hen to make sure she isn't eggbound. You can pick her up and hold her like a football. Feel low across her abdomen and in between her pelvic bones for a mass.
    Also, how long have you had them? It sometimes takes them a couple weeks or more to be settled in their new home and start laying again.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    How old are they? Were they laying before?

Mine seem to practice some. They lay in the nests a lot but no eggs. Same with the egg song... singing but not producing anything. Sounds like it is close!

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am not sure what your question is.

How long have you had the chickens? Sometimes they stop laying for a period of time when rehomed. What are their ages - were they laying before you got them?

My Millie D'Uccle also has a "croaky" voice and loves to talk alot.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have a 4 1/2 month old Mille Fleur D'Uclle/Serama hybrid named Billina. The other day I heard this distinctive squawking coming from the chicken tractor...I was sure some predator like a neighborhood cat was menacing my little darlings. I was in the ..um.. "reading room" if you catch my drift, and I jumped up, pulled up my pants hastily, and dashed out the door to the back yard.

Turns out it was just Billina singing her egg song. She just started laying this last week.

7. moosenbudda

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    [​IMG] So I got my first egg !!!! I guess she was egg bound !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY !!!!! MY first egg from the " free loaders" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by