Someones killing chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by columbiacritter, May 27, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have 3 broody Japanese all sitting on one nest, and someone is killing the chicks as they hatch. Not sure if it's one of them or another hen stealing them, but I've found 2 dead in the run and the broodies are still locked on their nest.

Dumb birds.

If I try to move the broodies now, will they stay on their eggs?

I didn't want them to hatch any eggs until later this summer, but they refused to break broody and were making nests in the muddy grass outside if I shut them out of hteir nest boxes. better to let them at least be inside and dry to be dumb broodies.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Lets bump this to get you an answer.

3. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    yes move them. My hen stayed sitting down for another day, so that would be plenty of time for the other chicks to hatch. I hate birds who pick on the babies. I've got a barred hen who would kill my chicks if she could. I (literally) almost wrung her neck today.

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Last year I had a broody RSL hen. She was in the coop with the rest of the girls. I tried numerous times to move her where her eggs would be safe from harm. They kept destroying the eggs and then they were some hidden that I didn't see. Well to make it short, there were several different hatch dates and the first little baby hatched and I was naive the 1st time around and left it with the Momma and went to get a cage straight. By the time I came back out, like maybe 10 to 15 minutes. That baby had totally vanished. I never did find a single trace of it. I am not sure if the other hens did it and I don't believe that momma did it because she stayed with her 3 remaining babies for over 2 months and never once harmed them.

Is it possible that the babies can get out of the broody pen and then the momma can't help them since they can't get out?

This is what I did after the loss of the 1st baby. I would take each baby out and ring them into the garage in the brooder I had set up in there and when she had hatched out all of the babies I brought her into the garage with her babies. That worked out great.

5. stuckinthecity

Apr 25, 2009
    Quote:Yes! I had 10 little chicks and I'm down to 2 four week(I think) old chicks. They slip out of little nook and crannies in the chicken pen and my dogs found them. (and I'm thinking the neighborhood cats as well)

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I'd move them and put them in a secure location. Hope the rest of the hatch goes well for you!!! [​IMG]

7. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Stuck in the city. I am so sorry for your loss of ur babies. It is sad to lose a chicken but when it is a baby and it hasn't even had a chance to live its life it is even sadder. With my WJG that hatched out babies in April, I put them in the garage. I put them in a plastic like playpen for puppies. Now the holes weren't huge but I covered the bottom portion with big pieces of cardboard so that way nobody could escape and then also nothing could get in without some major skill. She hatched 3 and unfortunately my littliest one 'lucky' died 3 days after hatching.

I would try to put something around the nooks and crannies to keep the babies inside because I can only imagine how the Momma hen felt when they got out and she couldn't save them.

I hope that the rest of ur babies make out ok. [​IMG]

8. stuckinthecity

Apr 25, 2009
    chickenlady08 - Thank you. Yes it was so sad. I was beyond mad at the situation. I couldn't believe I had lost all those babies!
    But yes, we fixed the pen and check every morning before letting the dogs out. so far, so good! And...I'm seeing little combs pop up on my [​IMG] little girls. [​IMG]

9. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    stuckinthecity

Isn't it exciting to watch the chicks grow. My babies of last year are 9 months old now. My newest babies are 6 weeks and they are 'girls' whoo hoo. last time all boys and had to find homes for 2 of them. Can't have to many roos. How old are your babies now?

10. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    I had made the mistake of using chicken wire to section off a spot and they actually got through there and would fall...we lost one and were scrambling for the others. I believe hardware cloth would be a better option as the holes are smaller...I am going to try and reinforce my penned off area with screen or hardware cloth this time before the hatch to avoid this same stress.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by