Somersaulting Araucana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CrazyOldChook, May 23, 2016.

1. CrazyOldChook

CrazyOldChook New Egg

May 23, 2016
    I have a 12 month old Araucana that over the last week seems to be having trouble holding her head up. She (Phyllis - due to the blue rinse bouffant hairdo) looks healthy overall, is eating & drinking (has stopped laying though). Her head is tucked down to her chest & she shakes it repeatedly - it kind of looks as as though she's pecking at her chest. She's off balance and tipping over a lot - I even spotted her doing a couple of somersaults this morning. To be honest she's always been on the strange side & often has us laughing at her strange ways. Could it possibly just be that she's run into the gate or one of the other girls & has put her neck out - or does this sound more sinister. If anyone has any ideas what I can do to help poor Phyllis, I'd love to hear them.[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. CrazyOldChook

CrazyOldChook New Egg

May 23, 2016
    thanks so much! Completely new to this & I've no idea what I'm doing

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It does sound like wry neck, sometimes they even walk backyards - tends to be very common in silkies - sometimes caused by deficiencies or a peck or bump to the head.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by