something an older person says about chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by johnnyjack, Jan 5, 2008.

1. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    thought it would be neat to here some of the things an older person has told you about chickens.my wifes grandmother always says her dad(( now this would have been in the 1940,s on)) wouldnt raise chickens in may and to never feed them melon of any kind ...i asked why... she had no answer..so lets here ur old timers tales.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]
    I had never heard anything - and still don't... folks I grew up with think its cool I have chickens, but they don't know a THING about them!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My gp's had chickens, my mother told me I never saw their chickens-they had them before I was born, well I remember the chickens and getting the eggs in the morning, and the coop, and I have a scar on my palm from where one bit me.
    My Gma always called me her little miss buff offington. I finally realized where she got that from-its only taken me 35 years!
    Then my dad says he had pet chickens as a kid. I never knew that. And he said that GPA raised hundreds of chickens back in the late 40's early 50's. To eat, I assume.
    The only thing I remember is Gma telling me to not pick them up because they bite!

4. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

My grandpa used to say if baby chickens were hatched in the month of May they would be weak chicks. He also used to say not to feed chickens melons. He said it would give them "limberneck".

He used to tease me when I was small...about four years old. He'd ask me, do you eat dead chickens? LOL.....I was very small. I would say, "No I don't eat dead ones, I eat killed ones." He'd just laugh. [​IMG] Soonerdog

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

There are lots of OLD people right here on BYC - ask em..... ?

[​IMG]

(now I'm in trouble)

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Takes them a while to type it all out - - - - once they get the walker over to the computer...............

[​IMG]
    (perhaps they're all in bed - those really OLD people)

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Does Florida have the internet yet?

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think even in Elkton Maryland they shut those old folk down at a cetain time....... BED TIME at the old folk home and all! LIGHTS OUT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by