Something ate my eggs!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Donlan73, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Donlan73

Donlan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Bundicks Lake, La
    Well for thr first time, went to collect my 3 eggs and nothing! Seen a piece of shell and that is it. It was in the day light cause my 3 hens lay around 11:00 am and one sometimes lay in the afternoon. No noise from the crew...roo didn't make any warning sounds.
    Any idea's?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    If there was only a little piece of egg shell left, it may well have been one of the chickens. Chickens will quickly dispose of a broken egg and they love the shells for the calcium. When one figures out that there are good eats inside the lovely little oval and a couple of good hard pecks grant access, you can have a real problem. It can be difficult to break an egg eating chicken of the habit.

3. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Squirrels will take eggs, they will take fake eggs, golf balls and I am told they will even take a baby chick. My (not with us any longer roo) never made a sound when the squirrels were in their yard or coop as a matter of fact he would sit with them in the shade [​IMG] he may have shared the stolen eggs with them for all I know..... there was something wrong with him.

4. Donlan73

May 15, 2012
    Bundicks Lake, La
    Hummm...They all 3 lay in the same nest around the same time...one would lay and get and the other would etc...Wife said it was a squirrel, so I loaded and cocked.
    Thanks

5. Donlan73

May 15, 2012
    Bundicks Lake, La
    One lays a white egg and the other two brown...all I found was brown egg shells.
    Thanks...

6. Donlan73

May 15, 2012
    Bundicks Lake, La
    Lol...so right on that. I have a few of them hanging around, like there are a couple of nest just above the coop. Haven't lost any since then...
    Thanks

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I saw Blue Jays coming into my coop once after I'd found some egg remnants in the nests. You can use shade cloth over the coop doors and the hens will eventually get used to walking through it. If wild birds are doing that, it may help. Come to think of it, rats will do that too if they are getting in your coop.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by