Something attacked chickens several injured

lucidmom

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
We don't know what got into them. But our Lavendar Lady is dead. The Buff Orpy is fine and in her coup. They are resting in a box, 2 of them over a heating pad, one under a hot lamp. Another with no visable marks, but bleeding out of an ear, is in a different box, with a warm lamp on her. She is standing and drinking from a syringe. Two Blue Orpys are alive, both bleeding out of an ear hole. One of the blues has a hole in the back of the head. No marks on any of the bodies. Both Blues refuse to open their eyes. One is standing, at times we have heard her "gurgle" and she moves her beak alot. They both will drink water out of a syringe. One will stand, (the one gurgling) the other wont. Our worst, is our a beautiful white americana. Her head is pretty bloody. Can't really wash it to see what the damage is, but she is standing, and will also drink out of a syringe. Then she sits down and her head flops forward resting her beak on the towel. Is there any thing we can give them to help? We are desperate, these have become more important to us than we ever thought could happen. I reiterate, none of them have body damage, only head damage. Please if there is anyone that can offer helpful advice, we haven't tried a warm mesh yet, but will in a bit.

You need to locate the wounds and treat them. Chickens have an amazing capacity to survive if you can keep them from developing an infection within and without (internally and topically). Gently swab area and part her feathers to find the wounds and then apply raw honey to them. It is a powerful natural antibiotic and antibacterial product. Do this twice a day. Keep them separated and keep them warm but not too warm. Watch for panting. You just don't want their bodies to have to work to stay warm when they're probably in shock and need as much energy for healing and recovery as possible.

Also, internally you can give the colloidal silver in a non-metal container. This is another potent natural antibiotic. I don't know of any non-natural, over the counter products other than neosporin or polysporin to apply topically. But don't underestimate the power of RAW honey. I nursed a cochin bantam back to health after a racoon attack that left a vicious wound on her chest.

Good luck.

The fourth chicken just stood up. So right now all 4 injured birds are standing.

Good sign. They have a good chance but you need to treat their wounds if you want to maximize their chance of survival.

Ok, 4th bird has laid back down, and appears to be panting. Not sure, but hubby had the heating pad up on high and that could be a reason, he turned it down to low and I will give her more water. The others are still standing. Trying to clean the head off of the California White, (earlier I said she was an Americana. Sorry.) Called the vet, and she will sew close the head wound of my Blue and will give us antibiotics. We think it was a dog, there is a big hole in our fence and he only finished off one bird and not the others. It's crazy, but I am falling apart. I never fall apart, my kid eats decon, I don't fall apart. My kid gets hit in the eye with a soft ball, I don't fall apart. But this, watching my kids in pain from seeing their pets hurt and in pain and I fall apart.

Oh, I'm so sorry this happened! I went through it last summer, lost six (three dead, three missing), and had one injured. The injured one survived. They are amazing in their ability to recover. I agree it sounds like a dog, that probably shook them. (I think mine was a fox, since some were missing.)

There is a lot of heart break in chicken keeping!

I'll be thinking of you and your chicks. I think you're doing all you can do for them.

I'm unsure why your heating them. It has no benefit to injury and will quickly overheat full grown birds requiring a lot of water. If you must heat try one lamp high up to increase ambient temp not direct heat sources on birds. As previously said birds are extremely resilient, rubbing alcohol on wounds to prevent infection and plenty water with rest.

Does someone have a small dog near you? Biting heads and not killing outright sound like a dog to me. Happened to a bird of ours last year, though she wasn't bit so hard, just a lot of blood.

I agree with the dog assessment and the heat lamp thing too. You might try some electrolytes in the water. Offer a very little soft food on spoon, runny oatmeal, yogurt... Rest and time will be your only weapon besides meeting their basic needs. First aid the wounds the best you can, offer water and food and wait them out.

Dogs like to catch critters. Some will eat what they catch but most are just responding to a reflex to grab what is moving. Once they have it they let go and move on to the next critter moving. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom