Something attacked my chickens

Regina P

Hatching
Jan 26, 2023
Around Thanksgiving something got into the pen beheading one chicken and severally attacked a second chickens head. We caught a glimpse of a mink or weasel. I have been closing their door each night since. They would not come out of the barn for weeks and stopped laying. Just this week I started getting an egg a day from 12 chickens. Is this normal and will they every lay the same as before?

I had a raccoon (I think) attack this fall. I came outside and the thing ran away so I don't know what it was but I know my bird was injured. She laid one egg about a month later and hasn't laid since. The combination of attack and winter is a recipe for a long egg break.

A raccoon eats just the head. A fox takes the whole chicken and runs with it. An opossum eats the guts from the butt in. Mink and weasel are bloody meat eaters. So for a raccoon your best bet is a live trap baited with marshmallows.

I lost chickens to hawks during the day and raccoons and rats during the night til I got a farm dog that took care of all that if you raised it from a pup in the coop then let it in the yard it will protect its flock if it's th right breed I had lgds up until recently now I have Australian shepherds they seem to be working out OK to meet max my guard dog

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom