Something attacked my hen Graphic pics

JennH07

Songster
13 Years
May 1, 2010
Hastings, MI
Something attacked on of my hens, I am not sure when, but I found her in the coop this morning like this

56060_dsc01931.jpg

56060_dsc01932.jpg

56060_dsc01933.jpg

56060_dsc01934.jpg

I'm afraid that her vent is destroyed. The poo is just leaking out of her, I'm afraid to touch her to put her in any more pain than she already is. I don't know what to do, some one please help. I have to leave the house in 10 min for a showing and then I'll be back in about half an hour. Please tell me that I wont have to cull her, this would just kill me too!!

Looks like maybe a big dog got her. On the vent - it may heal, but keeping it clean will be a challenge. The rest should heal with no problems; chickens are amazing healers. The vent injury is the most worrisome. Can't really tell from the pic what the damage is. Clean well with very mild soap and water and apply neosporin or other antibiotic (cream preferable to ointment). the rest will be supportive, keping her eating and drinking.

Last edited:
Chickens are very resilient, but those look like lethal injuries if she's ripped through the vent and into her internal organs. You need to cull her, I think. So sorry! I've never had to do it in my little backyard flock, and know it'll be hard, but she cannot survive that and is surely in pain.

normally i would tell you that chickens heal quick (which they do) but im afraid if her vent was destroyed, it would only be more pain if she was alive...not to mention the infections, etc. I'm sorry.

Unfortunately, you may not want to hear it, but it may be the kindest thing is to put her out of her misery, as her damage, to me personally, is extensive. If she were one of my hens, I would do the right thing.

If she didn't have that tear, she would have survived. With that damage of the vent being torn, exposed some of that muscle, infection would be the greatest danger. Unless you can dedicate most of your time, keeping her clean, stitching the tears, and giving her antibotics, you have a 50 percent chance either she will make it or she won't make it.

If it was me, I would put her down. Vet care is very very expensive. It's hard, I know!

Try to clean her up and see if you can get more pictures on as you can't see what damagne there is to her vent...
She may heal don't give up on her too soon.
Sorry to hear about her
sad.png

Daisy. xx

I'm so sorry to hear about your hen
sad.png
Poor baby! It looks like a big dog attack to me too.
If you decide to euthanize, if you search the thread there are other ideas (like one with vinegar and baking soda and put the hen in a box, and the C02 puts them to sleep - or something like that). Or, possibly the local humane society would put her to sleep. In my area the Humane Society will put animals to sleep without a charge, but don't know about chickens.

Back
Top Bottom