1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something attacked our turkey and it's bad:( The pics are kinda gross i'm sorry

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MsMoss, Mar 22, 2012.

1. MsMoss

MsMoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    What do we do? Can she survive this? My dad sprayed her with solercain it's like bactine. do we need to wrap her in guaze? get some special turkey ointment? does she need sutures? What? We've seperated her from all the other turkeys, and she is in an enclosement so she can't wander all over the yard or be attacked by something else.

Edited to add, we're pretty sure almost 100 percent it was my dog who did it.[​IMG] the turkey must have hopped the fence an calley went after her when she went out to do her morning outsides. We''ve fixed the fence so hopefully it won't happen again.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/LittleGirlatheart/Spartacuswound-1.jpg

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/LittleGirlatheart/turkeywound.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, I looked at your pics, and it really doesn't look that bad. I would isolate her so that she can rest, because she might be in shock.

I would then clean up her wounds and spray the area with a spray Called Blue Cote, and also I'd put some antibiotics in her drinking water, just in case she might get an infection.

Good luck and I wish the best for your turkey hen,
    Sharon

3. ange92040

ange92040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Lockhart, TX
    Wow so sorry I have no advice but good luck [​IMG]hugs to you

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So sorry for your turkey. I agree with chicmom.

First off no more solarcaine. It may have benzocaine or lidocaine in it for pain relief. (depends on the kind of solarcaine)
    "caine" type pain relief is not so good for birds.

Here's some good info for wounds. Pay attention to post #16.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=203024

Imp- Good luck.

5. MsMoss

Mar 26, 2011
    Thank you, I am devestated for the poor bird:(

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I am continually amazed on how resilient birds are.

Imp

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Yes, read the thread Imp linked to. If she didn't take any punctures to internal organs (resulting hard to treat infections) she should do just fine. Definitely go to feed store and look into injectable Pen-G as antibiotic. She should be kept in an area with low light (if possible - keeps them calm). Also, if you have to leave her outside where she'll be exposed to fly activity: Use a pyrethrin spray to OUTER feathers of wings (uninjured areas) so as to lessen the chance of egg laying/maggots. Make sure water and food is easily accessible (if you are in an area where moths, etc. are showing up feed her those as well - they'll eat bugs that are fluttering when they won't touch anything else).

Have treated toms badly injured by both fox and dog (looked even worse with muscle exposed) and they recovered.

Good luck to you all!

8. MsMoss

Mar 26, 2011
    My dad and i will go to the feed store and get the Blue Cote spray and we'll see if they have any antibiotics for turkeys and do the best wbe can to help her. She was clearly dazed, i picked her up an i didn't have the best hold on her, and normally if she was herself she would have flapped the crap out of me for daring to pick her up.When

you all say clean the wound, how do you mean? like with clean water, with a solution,?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

10. MsMoss

Mar 26, 2011
    Thank you every one, we got some antibioti powder to put in her water, and we got the blue cote, and she's feeling a bit friskier now, so hopefully the shock is wearing off. We just have to watch and see and hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by