Something bad happened at work today

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by horsejody, Jan 6, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    A woman that lives in the building I work at died today. The building has offices downstairs and apartments upstairs. There is a lobby area with a couch. It is not unusual to occasionally see residents lounging on the couch. I went past the lobby to go to the restroom. A woman was on the couch. It looked like she was stretching. I think I was the last to see her alive. One minute later while walking back I saw her dead. We called 911. One of my co-workers knows and tried CPR. There was no pulse. The rescue people came. They continued CPR, but I think they were going to pronounce her dead at the hospital. I feel so bad. What I thought was stretching might have been some sort of seizure, or maybe she was reaching out for help, and I just walked by. Please pray for her and her family. I'll always regret that I didn't stop and say, "hi," instead of just assuming everything was OK because she might have gotten CPR sooner and been saved.

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    [​IMG] It's not your fault, don't beat yourself up over it.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    There is no way you could have known what would happen after you walked by. I'm sorry this happened to you, I know it will be with you for a long time, be there, done that.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh how sad, and kinda disturbing - I would be really shocked to see a person like that.

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Awwww... it's not your fault!!! Even if you had stopped, she would have probably still passed. It's hard to know, but it's not fair to yourself to beat yourself up [​IMG]
    So sorry you had that experience today
    Hugs
    Christina

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I agree - dont beat yourself up over it - you didnt know sweetie. I'm so sorry you feel so badly about it, but its not your fault.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh that is horrible!!! You did everything you could though... don't beat yourself up.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I am just sad that her last moments on earth might have been spent all alone reaching out and seeing me just walk by like she was invisible.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

OHMYGOSH! that is quite a traumatic thing to go through! I hope you are doing ok after that.... [​IMG]

10. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I know it's hard not to think of all the what if's, but try not to if you can. There's no way of knowing. When it's someone's time to go, it's time. I am sure that the co-worker and the EMS did all that CPR could do. Big hugs, its a disturbing thing to witness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by