1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SomeTHING came into the Turkey coop! (Scat ID help?) UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Breac, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Just today as I was walking in the turkey run, I noticed that some large-medium size animal had managed to get into my turkey coop and had left a little present. Although no birds were taken, which I am extremely grateful for, this... thing managed to get inside, even though I searched the run/coop from top to bottom looking for an entrance point. I couldn't find any sort of sizable opening, especially one big enough for whatever left the scat. I honestly have no clue what it was or where it came from. All I know is that some animal left scat, about the size of what a medium/largish dog would leave. It was filled with what looked to be tiny seeds (although looking back, perhaps they were fresh fly larvae?). It was, as I mentioned, similar in shape and composition to what a dog would leave, but there's no dogs on the property, and I couldn't find any entrance points.

The turkeys always sleep in the branches in a tall crab apple tree inside the run. As an added note, about a month ago, my large (and non-flying) turkey hen Caly was caught by something that had managed to break a hole in the wire and chase her down. I found her half-eaten body near a place in the wire where something fairly big (perhaps a fox) managed to push the wire up and break through. After that, I put bricks and cinder blocks in all the places that any critter could get through. I never figured out what that first predator was; perhaps it came back?

Whatever broke into my coop, I want to ID it, figure out how it got in and out without leaving a trace of entering, and get rid of it. Does anyone know of what this critter is, or where I can find some good guides for scat comparison? [​IMG]

UPDATE: Just this morning, I went into the run to find that this still-unknown critter had once again broken in and out without leaving a trace of how/where it entered. This time, however, it managed to get my last young poult, Marie. I found a bloody clump of feathers and some more fly egg/seed infested scat near the attack site. STILL NO SIGN of how this horrid beastie go in. I'm going to set a large trap, but I am still just as clueless about this critter.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Based on the description, it sounds like coon scat. Suggest that near your coop, put out a sheet of plywood that has a sprinkle of flour all over it and a attractive bait in the middle. When your mystery guest checks out the bait, it will leave prints for you to identify.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The turkeys always sleep in the branches in a tall crab apple tree inside the run.

I take that to mean there is no top on the run.

Unless the coop was closed, the coon simply climbed in.

A Fox could have climbed in also, but I'd bet it was a coon​

4. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks for the suggestion! That sounds like a great idea! I do have some large traps I intend to set out, but I'll do this as well.

Quote:I take that to mean there is no top on the run.

Unless the coop was closed, the coon simply climbed in.

A Fox could have climbed in also, but I'd bet it was a coon

Actually, the run is indeed covered.

5. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Coon, im sure the turkeys would chase it off or give it a good lesson

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Actually, the run is indeed covered

Then there's a coon sized hole somewhere​

7. chud

chud New Egg

Dec 31, 2010
    i have trapped for a long time what ever a coon can get its head through the body will follow. now look for hair around the bottom of the wire get rid of the bricks try broken glass stuff that is pointy and sharp. look out and away from the pen find where its entering the area . once you find that it will help you find out where its getting in to your enclosure look around the field edges leading up to your yard and good luck:)

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Not sure what kind of wire you are using but I would think twice about the broken glass idea around the outside of your chicken pen. If they can get their beaks through it at all they will eat their fill for sure. They can't resist trying anything that stands out and sparkely broken glass would be irresistable to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by