Something chew the fingers off a chicken HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kris1990, Jul 2, 2016.

1. kris1990

kris1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Something tonight chew the fingers off one of the legs of one of our hens. Can someone tell me if the fingers will grow back? Or we need to cut it clean to heal?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Toes will not grow back.

3. kris1990

Jul 3, 2015
    So we should try to cut it clean and let it heal like this? I'm sorry I don't have pictures but we were in a big rush in the morning and didn't get to make some.

4. kris1990

Jul 3, 2015
    I found a picture online. The circled part is about how much is missing from the leg.[​IMG]

5. kris1990

Jul 3, 2015
    What could've done this?

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you are having trouble.

Can you take her to a vet?

As far a what may have done this, rats would be my best guess. Are they shut in a secured coop at night?
    Check for any small holes, places in the fence, etc. where a small critter can get in. This is something you will need to address fairly quickly, since one girl has been "eaten" then I suspect whatever did it will be back for more.

7. kris1990

Jul 3, 2015
    We can't take her until Tuesday:/ they usually stay in a secured pen but this night I left then outside in a double fenced 10x10 dog kennel (fenced top as well). The only thing we didn't fence was the bottom and something dig underneath the kennel bar. There were a lot of chicken there:some are very sick with respiratory diseases and the outside makes them feel better,there was one rooster that somehow injured one of his legs earlier this week,there were some bantams and some big Brown hens. And there was one hen silkie that wasn't feeling good yesterday and she didn't make it through the night. And she was laying on the ground dead in the morning. Noone else was injured and the dead one wasn't even touched. Just that one hen that's healthy and active had her toes chewed off. Which seems really weird to me. Why would you attack alive animal when you have a dead one that's an easy pray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by