Something Coming out of my RIR's Vent!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EquestrianGal, May 9, 2011.

1. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I have a two year old RIR who is incredibly sweet. [​IMG]

It is coming straight out of her vent and looks like a semi-clear tube almost. It is probably a centimeter in diameter, membrane-like, and maybe filled with liquid. it is several inches long (4?), but kind of looped over itself.

I guess about a month ago she started having symptoms of egg drop syndrome (thin, sandpapery shelled eggs), but I just thought it was a calcium deficiency and made sure she had more access to oyster shell (I hadn't been doing that before b/c had never had a problem and didn't know I should). It didn't help and I started doing research to see what else it could be--I was really just thinking mineral deficiency at that point. That is when I came across info on Egg Drop Syndrome. I don't know that she has all the symptoms, and I really have no idea how she could have become infected (we added two chickens from a friend 6 months ago, but they never showed any signs of problems and prior to that no chickens were added since last spring, all of which are still healthy).

A few days ago she started acting lethargic. I now have her separated from the flock and started antibiotics (terramycin) for both her and the rest of the flock (I lost several guineas to a virus a couple years ago and I really don't want to go through that again).

I feed a layer pellet, oyster shell supplement, and they freerange all day (not at night b/c we have lost several to foxes, so they are in Ft Knox after dark lol). I provide fresh water but I am sure they also drink out of a small seasonal pond on the property.

I think that might be all the info I have. Does anyone know ANYTHING about this?? Like I said, this chicken is incredibly sweet (will jump up in the car with us and has even let my 4 year old daughter carry her around before). Our chickens are not pets, but this one is so friendly that we can't help but be attached to her.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. EquestrianGal

May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You are too new to post pictures. If you want email it to me and I will post for you.

Imp

4. EquestrianGal

May 9, 2011
    it let me put the link to the picassa album. I could also email them to you if you think that would be better. (just want to help my chicken if possible!!)

5. Imp

It's OK the link works and the pictures are great, very clear.
    I have never seen this posted before. It kinda looks like she is passing a soft shelled egg.
    Is it continuing to come out?
    I'm guessing it is just one of those weird things that chickens occasionally do. Right now I don't think I'd worry too much. (I know easy for me to say)
    Please post if more symptoms present.
    Imp

6. susannemw

susannemw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Maine
    Is it some sort of worm problem?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's not a worm. If it were, it would be a tapeworm, it would be flat and segmented. I agree with Imp, it looks like a soft shelled egg.

8. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Soft shelled egg would be my guess do you feed oyster shell?

9. EquestrianGal

May 9, 2011
    I don't think it is a parasite of any kind, although that was my first thought, too. Just doesn't look alive in any way, and tapeworms look to be shaped different.
    I am leaning toward softshell egg after your responses, but it seems to be stuck. I don't know if I should "help" her get it out or just leave it.

Yes, I feed oyster shell. is there another mineral deficiency that could cause soft shell problems? I mentioned in my first post that she has been having problems with thin shelled eggs for about a month. they seem to be getting progressively worse.

She hasn't been acting right for several days and I noticed a couple places where it looks like her feathers are coming out. I don't know what is going on, but she just isn't doing well. I don't know if I am dealing with two separate issues or one issue. she eats everything the others eat

I have a guinea cock that is also acting "off" I have him in isolation now, as well (the very fact that I could catch him is pretty decent evidence he doesn't feel well). every one else seems great, but I have disinfected everything that I can (coop, feed and water containers, etc.). I am also going to keep them in the coop/yard area the next few days to make sure they are drinking the water with terramycin in it.

10. Imp

Quote:Sorry, I'm not more help. If more symptom present, please post them. It's hard when the symptoms are vague.

Good luck & it sounds like you are doing good,

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by