Something decided to visit our goose house.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CrestedGirl, Mar 24, 2011.

1. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Tuesday I woke up, went to the goose house and found......... an opossum! We believe she probably came in during the night before we shut the door and hid in a corner. Anyways when i looked at her in the morning she had eight little babies with her. We have read that they dont get rabies often, so we just let her be. In the evening we just left the door cracked open a little bit so she could go out since they are nocturnal. In the morning she was gone with her little babies. No goose was hurt, Too bad i didnt get any pictures though. It was certainly a new expieriance![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
  2. hilareee

hilareee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    santa cruz, ca
    how lovely! i do believe they're resistant to rabies, but i'd be very vigilant about closing up the birds at night...

3. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    We had no idea she was in there that night though.

4. mmpb1

mmpb1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Texas
    Don't feel bad about closing the possum in your goose house. I came home a little later than usual to close the chicken house. The next morning I thought a hen was on the nest early- wait- hens don't have fur! It was a young possum. The older ones will kill a chicken, the young ones eat eggs.
    Once I raised five baby opossums. Their mother was road killed and they were tiny. That was a great experience and I loved them, but sent them to a vet who did rehab and release. They loved being bottle fed but when they grew older cooked chicken and boiled eggs were their favorite foods.
    Margie

5. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I know, when they are little babies they are so cute, but the adults just look like big rats.[​IMG] thanks for the support. I felt bad that i didn`t take more time to look in the house at night. From this experience I now check everywhere in the house because you never know what you might find one night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by