something eating my chickens

linda07

In the Brooder
May 26, 2018
i have lost 3 chickens in 3 days. they seem to be going in the coop and dragging them out side and eating a bit of the breast,but mostly the innards. we have set traps but don't seem to want to bother with the food in it. any ideas??

More information needed.

Where are you located?
Possible predators?
What's your coop like?
Do you lock the flock up at night?

If you don't lock the flock up at night you may want to try starting. Everything that eats meat enjoys chicken so it's important that you have a safe predator proof place for them to go.

First two things that come to mind is an opossum and a raccoon. How far away is it dragging the birds? Into cover or out in the open?

i live in michigan. in the middle of the thumb. we have been here 4 yrs and haven't had a problem,and all of a sudden BOOM. no we didn't lock them up at night because they are in a 6 foot run. they are dragging them out in the open,about 6 to 20 feet away from the coop. we have set up a trap with tuna in it but nothing. now we lock them up at night.

Try marshmallows as bait. While I've never done it I've heard lots of people use them for raccoons.

Other than the torn and eaten breast and innards could you see if there was damage to the head or neck?

I use melon (cantaloupe or honeydew) to bait traps for coon, possum, groundhog, they luv melon! I dont use live traps, an adult coon will destroy them.
And I'll second looking into improving the coop! These things must not be able to get in at night.

Scary would be looking out your door and seeing a big cat, as in black panther in your yard. Yes I have seen a large male, went to the local game warden to verify, and yes they are here, with cubs. I was not so alarmed for the chickens, but I had small kids at the time.

Back
Top Bottom