Something eating my free range bourbon red turkey eggs PLease HELP

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by medan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. medan

medan Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    The hen is laying under a stump set at an angle on a hill side I found two ate up eggs just some of the shell remains and the fresh laid egg. Do turkeys eat their own eggs? I know she lays at about 10 am to 12 pm should I take the egg in and replace it before she lays each day also itÂ’s on the dirt should I put some straw up in there? I really want my flock to breed its own offspring with as little interference from me as possible but I want to aid in any way I can any sound Ideas will be appreciated .

2. Alas

Alas Songster

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Probably an opossum. If you really want your turkeys to incubate their own eggs you may want to try a live trap for the egg eater. I caught the opossum that was eating my eggs with a live trap with dog food and tuna for bait. If you dont want to kill the critter make sure and release it a good distance away. You could also try adding a pair of geese to your yard to chase away unwanted critters. I had cats sleeping in my chicken coop during the day before I got my geese.

3. medan

medan Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    I had a racoon that ate 4 of my chickens 3 days ago it got 5 to the head with my 22 I have 2 traps that came in a kit one squerril and one I got the coon in i baited them both and put them by the egg I am just keeping the egg inside today and night with traps set i can get it back before she lays again tomorrow at 10am-12 pm

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. medan

medan Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    Quote:You were so right it cost me another egg and then it went for the dog food peanutbutter mix last night. darn they are ugly one less opossum over here now thanks your advice was spot on!!!!! do you think I should keep the live trap baited and set for a time ?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  5. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    yep. Honestly id keep it baited and set all the time during laying season. I keep one going outside the barn all the time. I just lost 6 guineas in 2 days, everything is getting penned up and im going hunting.

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Build this and bait it.
    [​IMG]

Then take a shovel/ rifle/big rock and kill what you catch.

7. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Also keep in mind that most hens are lost to predators on the nest. I let them lay for a few months until I get all the eggs I need and then I let them go broody in a pen.

8. medan

medan Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    I want them to do it naturaly dont want to interfear

9. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Songster

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    Lots of things eat turkey eggs. Dogs, skunks, opossum, racoons. I even eat them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:I don't know where you live or what your predator population is there but I bet she doesn't make it 28 days on the nest out in the field. I guess when something eats her trying to protect eggs it will be natural. [​IMG] Also, some hens are not good mothers and take them on a walk in the wet morning grass and it leads them to their death. As Steve always, "a wet, cold poult is a dead poult". I'm not saying it can't be done but they have a mych greater chance if they are in some kind of pen protected. They are not as smart as natural wild turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: