something else beside molasses I can use for pasty butt??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momoftwinsinwi, Apr 22, 2009.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I have a chick with it and don't have any molasses???

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pasty butt can be made worse by molasses or any sugars. Where did you hear that? Any sugars will make diarrhea worse. Get unfiltered, apple cider vinegar with the "mother" (sediment). Use a couple to three teaspoons to a quart.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Agree with Cyn. I would never use molasses for a chick with pasty butt. I've heard dry milk sometimes helps. The important thing is keeping it clean and figuring out why the chick is getting it. You will want to make sure they are in the proper temp, no drafts, tepid water (not hot/not cold) and chick crumble feed only.

4. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    3 new chicks hatched late Sat/early Sun, put in large rubber maid, with heat lamp, dumor chick feed, waterer with room temp water and rocks so no accident, have paper toweling on floor of rubber maid and it is changed daily????

numerous people said molasses in water on the "raising baby chicks" section when I searched "pasty butt"

thanks for your help!!!

5. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Will pasty butt resolve by itself?

Can I put anything on their little bottoms like olive oil to stop it from sticking to feathers or maybe some kind of ointment?

I have two as well that have a 'little' meaning in the morning they are a little dirty and to be careful with them I clean them up (over their protests).

One was a little 'clogged up' and immediately 'relieved the pressure' once I cleared the way but has not had that problem again, just messy behinds and I'm worried it could cause them health problems so I keep cleaning.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Most of the time yes it will resolve itself. If it's caused by old or moldy feed, then you'll need to throw that out and get some fresh feed. Medicated starter for chicks seems to help too, but everyone doesn't feed medicated and they do just fine. I'm not knocking the Dumor feed, but I have heard a LOT of complaints with pasty butts from folks that feed that particular brand to new chicks. Don't know why, so please don't take it wrong.
    I also feed mine plain yogurt with active cultures to build up their intestinal bacteria and to help their immune system fight the diarrhea. A little scrambled egg gives them extra protein as well to help them heal, but try to get them to eat mostly their starter crumbles so they get balanced nutrition. The ACV that speckledhen advised is excellent advice and you can add a clove of garlic in as well to build up immunities and help them utilize their feed better.
    You can use either baby oil, or olive oil to put around their vents to help keep the poop from sticking and stopping them up.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Can I put anything on their little bottoms like olive oil to stop it from sticking to feathers or maybe some kind of ointment?

I use either mineral oil or baby oil wiped on their bottoms after I've cleaned the pasty off, to help it keep from sticking. I've also read where other members use vegetable oil.

It's usually caused by the stress of shipping (also from being too hot or cold) and usually clears up in a few days.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn​

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i had one with it and I washed it off, blow dried it and put baby oil on and it worked like a charm.

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I think giving them chick grit helps prevent pasty butt. Will

10. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I will try the apple cinder vinegar with mother and a little olive oil on the bottoms. they are on medicated feed and are only 5/6 days old so I'll hold off on feeding them something different to help for now.
    Hopefully it will be ok in another day or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by