Something entered my coop last night!!!

vickircafe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Orange Lake, FL
I have a dog pen and a wooden shelter for a coop. No door on the shelter, it is kind of a lean-to with a nest box. We put cement block around the bottom half way into the ground so nothing could dig under. No cement blocks were disturbed and no breaks in the fence, but something smaller had gotten in, I think, through the fencing. I had 5 "Teenagers" who were 3 months old and 5 beautiful silkies. Now all but 1 of my "Teenagers" are dead. All but 1 silkie is dead. Some had heads taken off, others were completely gone except for a pile of feathers.

My remaining silkie has a complete wing missing but she is eating and drinking a little bit. She also has a bloody spot just below her wing but not a real deep injury. I put triple antibiotic on both spots. Do you think she will live? Anyone else ever had this happen? I have read many posts over the months but never came across one with a chicken with a missing wing before. Right now she is in the house with the other "Teenager" in a plastic tub. The "Teenager" is missing a lot of feathers but no blood anywhere on her. There is no more blood coming out of my silkies wing injury.

What a terrible morning!!!

Very sorry for your losses!
hugs.gif

As far as predators, I would post over in predators board too, because someone might have ideas. What kind of fence? I think it is racoons who take heads off, and they can climb. Possums climb too. As far as the injuries, it would seem like the usual recovery methods- warmth, quiet, good food, TLC. Good luck, keep us posted!

Soooo Sorry for your loss!!!
hit.gif
hugs.gif
Hope your teenager with the injury makes it. Just make sure the antibiotic ointment you put on it does not have "pain relief" benzocaine in it. That stuff can kill the bird.

Good Luck,
Lisa

Sorry this happened to you. If you live in a rural area, culprits could range from raccoons and oppossums to foxes and stray cats (although if there are carcasses and remains left, the former is likely the reason). I hope you and your chickens recover well.

My silkie hen is still o.k. at this point. I checked and my antibiotic does not have any benzocaine in it. Do you think I should be giving antibiotics in her water? If so what kind. I also heard of aspirin for pain. Would I dissolve a whole aspirin in a quart of water or more or less? I don't want her to be in pain. She is very quiet and laying down. My fencing is chain link dog run. I do have a tarp over it but I think a racoon could stil get in.

Unfortuately I have to leave for 5 hrs. from noon to 5 pm for work. I just pray she is alive when I get back. Also my little "Teenager" has been sleeping a lot so she is probably just worn out. She looks really good, just a lot of missing feathers.

As long as you have them in a warm safe place where they can get food and water they should be fine. just don't put them back outside till you get you setup secure.

Just wanted to let everyone know, my silkie with the missing wing is still alive and she is even still eating and drinking. Does anyone know if I should be giving her antibiotics in her water. If so what kind?

Back
Top Bottom